Explore your Archive – Archival Snapshots
Join us for a fascinating snapshot into the libraries and archives of the great and the small.
22–26 November 2021, 13:00–14:15
This year for Explore your Archive week, you are invited to a week of free virtual ‘snapshot’ talks on the five main subject areas covered within our library and archives: Archaeology, Architecture, Ecclesiastical Heritage, Industrial Archaeology and Maritime Archaeology.
Each day, recorded ‘snapshot’ talks by archivists, librarians and specialists from external institutions will be broadcast, outlining their collections on the day’s theme or on a specific collection that highlights the theme, plus a presentation from RCAHMW on our own archives.
Monday, 13:00-14:15 – Archaeology
• Historic England – Highlights of the Archaeological Collections held in the Historic England Archive – Kathy Clough
• St Davids Cathedral – Recording Building Archaeology Since The 12th Century – Ross Cook
• The Archaeology Data Service – An Introduction to the Archaeological Collections – Jenny O’Brien
• Society of Antiquaries – Archaeology in the Collections of The Society of Antiquaries of London – Becky Loughead
• RCAHMW – The RCAHMW and the National Monuments Record of Wales – Gareth Edwards
Tuesday, 13:00-14:15 – Architecture
• National Museum Wales – A Brief History of the Cathays Park Building – Kristine Chapman
• Society of Antiquaries – Architecture in the Collections of The Society of Antiquaries – Becky Loughead
• Royal Society of Architects in Wales – The Architectural Archives Advisory Panel for Wales – Elinor Weekley
• RCAHMW – Building the Twentieth Century – Susan Fielding
Wednesday, 13:00-14:15 – Ecclesiastical Heritage
• National Library of Wales – Siarteri yn ein Casgliadau Eglwysig: Cipluniau o Gymru yn y Canoloesau (Charters in our Ecclesiastical Collections: Snapshots of Medieval Wales) – Lucie Hobson (Welsh-language talk with captioned translation)
• Dr Williams’s Library – An Insight into Dr Williams’s Library – Alan Argent
• St Davids Cathedral – St Davids Cathedral Library and Treasury – How to Know What is There? – Mari James
• RCAHMW – The Notebooks of R. E. Kay: Antiquarian of the 20th Century – Megan Ryder
Thursday, 13:00-14:15 – Industrial Archaeology
• Glamorgan Archives – Glamorgan’s Blood: The Coal Collections at Glamorgan Archives – Rhian Diggins
• Welsh Mills Society – Mills Archives and How They Can Be Used – John Crompton
• Ffestiniog Railway Archives – The Archive of the Ffestiniog Railway Company – Dafydd Gwyn
• RCAHMW – Industrial Wales – Documenting the Rise and Fall of Industry: Archival Snapshots from the NMRW – Louise Barker
Friday, 13:00-14:15 – Maritime Archaeology
• UK Hydrographic Office – The Collections at the UKHO Archive – Emma Down
• Lloyd’s Register Foundation – Gwneud ymchwil morwrol: Casgliadau Canolfan Treftadaeth ac Addysg Sefydliad Cofrestr Lloyd’ (Doing Maritime Research: Lloyd’s Register Foundation Heritage and Education Centre Collections) – Dr Meilyr Powell (Welsh-language talk with captioned translation)
• University of Southampton – Archives and Special Collections: Our Maritime Archives – Karen Robson, Lara Nelson and Russell Ince
• RCAHMW – Maritime Archaeology in the Archives of the Royal Commission – Dr Julian Whitewright
Please note, each day’s talk must be booked separately via the links in the descriptions above. Should you have any questions please contact email@example.com.
These free lectures will be delivered via Zoom and the invitations will be sent to you once you have booked your place. Please don’t forget to download Zoom if you haven’t already!
Tickets will be limited and must be booked in advance.
During 2021 we will be holding special events and regular presentations on our current research projects. All are welcome to these free online events. All talks will be recorded, becoming available in due course on the Royal Commission’s YouTube channel.