National Monuments Record of Wales Archives and Library Bulletin – December 2015
Welcome to the latest monthly edition of the National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW) Archives and Library Bulletin which lists all newly catalogued material.
The archival items, library books and journal articles are all available to view in our public reading room. The full archive catalogue is available on Coflein and contains digital copies of many of the items listed.
Our Library and reading room is open:
Monday – Friday 09.30 – 16.00, Wednesday 10.30 – 16.30.
An appointment is advisable.
- Basingwerk Abbey, 1926: Cat. Ref. CGM30/004
- Caernarfon/Caernarvon Castle, 1911-1975: Cat. Ref. CGM32/032-047; 33/001-071; 34/001-054; 36/002
- Caerphilly Castle, 1920-1974: Cat. Ref. CGM30/003; 31/049-088
- Ewenny Priory, c.1895: Cat. Ref. CGM30/001-002
- Harlech Castle, 1927-1949: Cat. Ref. CGM32/019-021
- ISCA Legionary Fortress, Caerleon, 1963-1974: Cat. Ref. CGM32/001-018
- Neath Abbey, 1953: Cat. Ref. CGM32/022
- Raglan Castle, 1907-1908: Cat. Ref. CGM37/001-002
- St David’s Bishops Palace, 1934-1972: Cat. Ref. CGM32/023-031
- Tintern Abbey, 1913-2001: Cat. Ref: CGM29/005-117; 30/005-035; 31/001-048
- White Castle: Cat. Ref. CGM36/001
Covering dates: 2009-2015
- Dyffryn Adda Reverbatory Furnace, Anglesey
- Buckland Mill, Brecknockshire
- St. Iltyd’s Church, Llanhamlach, Brecknockshire
- Chapel of Holy Trinity/ Gwydir Chapel/ Capel Gwydir Uchaf, Llanrychwyn, Llanrwst, Caernarfonshire
- St. Benedict’s Church, Gyffin, Caernarfonshire
- St. Michael’s Church, Cilycwm, Carmarthenshire
- St. Doget’s Church, Llanddoget, Denbighshire
- St. Eilian’s Church/ St. Hilary’s Church, Llanelian-yn-rhos, Denbighshire
- St. Giles’ Church, Wrexham, Denbighshire
- St. Mary’s Church, Ruabon, Denbighshire
- St. Mary’s Church, Nercwys, Flintshire
- Llandaff Cathedral, Glamorgan
- St. Cattwg’s Church/ St. Cadoc’s Church, Llancarfan, Glamorgan
- St. Illtyd’s Church, Glamorgan
- St. Michael’s Church, Michaelston-super-ely, Glamorgan
- All Saints Church, LLangar, Merioneth
- Holy Trinity Chapel/ Rug Chapel, Dyffryn Edeirnion, Merioneth
- St. Mary’s Church, Taly-y-llyn, Merioneth
- St. Mary and St. Egryn’s Church, Llanegryn, Merioneth
- St. Bridget’s Church, Skenfrith, Monmouthshire
- St. Cybi’s Church, Llangybi, Monmouthshire
- Troy Farm, Monmouthshire
- St. James’ Church/ St. Martin’s Church, Manorbier, Pembrokeshire
- St. Padarn’s Church, Llanbadarn-y-garreg, Radnorshire
Photo surveys of:
- Aberystwyth Castle, c.1977: C.613974
- Dyffryn Mymbyr, 1951: C.613964
- Gelli, Llandygai, 1953: C.613966
- Gwenddar Mill, Henryd, 1950: C.613838
- Pont y Ceunant, Llangegai, 1951: C.613935
- Pont Pen y Benglog, 1951: C.613938
- St Curig’s Church, 1949: C.613958
- St Tudno’s Church, 1949: C.613848
- Tyddyn y Coed, 1951: C.613955
Boorman, Derek. (2005). A century of remembrance : one hundred outstanding British war memorials, Pen & Sword Military, Barnsley.
Childe, V. Gordon. (1973). The dawn of European civilization, Paladin, St Albans.
Davies, John. (2015). A life in history. Y Lolfa, Talybont.
Evans, John Dorian. (2005). Betws New Drift Mine, John Dorian Evans, Betws.
Hewett, Cecil Alec. (1980). English historic carpentry, Phillimore, London.
Hoskins, W. G. (1967). Fieldwork in local history, Faber, London.
Mason, Shena (Ed.). (2009). Matthew Boulton : selling what all the world desires, Birmingham City Council ; Yale University Press, London.
Morris, Bernard. (2013). The pleasure of unravelling secrets : contributions to Swansea and Gower history, Gower Society, Swansea.
Musson, Chris & Driver, Toby. (2015). Above Brecknock : An historic county from the air, Gomer, LLandysul.
Nicholl, Lewis D. (1936). The Normans in Glamorgan, Gower and Kidweli, William Lewis, Cardiff.
Owen, Morfydd E. (1997). Bwrlwm llys Dinefwr : brenin, bardd a meddyg =The Din of Dinefwr : prince, poet and physician, Carmarthenshire Antiquarian Society, Llandybie.
Roderick, Arthur & Davies, Euros. (1994). Llambed ddoe = Lampeter yesterday, Gomer, Llandysul.
Simmons, I. G. ; Tooley, M. J. (1981). The Environment in British prehistory, Duckworth, London
Ancient Monuments Society / Friends of Friendless Churches Newsletter no. 03:2015 (Autumn 2015)
Archaeologia Cambrensis vol. 164 (2015)
Archive: The Quarterly Journal for British Industrial and Transport History no. 88 (December 2015)
Army Historical Research Society Journal, almost complete run vols. 71-92 (1993-2014). Donated by Dr. C.S. Briggs.
Below! Quarterly Journal of the Shropshire Caving and Mining Club no. 2015:4 (Winter 2015)
British Archaeology no. 146 (January-February 2016)
Cambridge Antiquarian Society Proceedings vol. 104 (2015) [Donation]
Context (Institute of Historic Building Conservation members’ magazine) nos. 137-142 (November 2014- November 2015) [Donation]
Current Archaeology no. 310 (January 2016)
Landscapes vol. 16 no. 2 (November 2015)
Medieval Settlement Research vol. 30 (2015) [Donation]
Past: The Newsletter of the Prehistoric Society no. 81 (Autumn 2015)
Pembrokeshire Life (December 2015)
Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society vol. 81 (2015)
Sheetlines no. 104 (December 2015) and Index to vols. 68-104
Site Recorder no. 1592 (December 2015)
Stand To! The Journal of the Western Front Association, almost complete set vols. 29-91 (1990-2011). Donated by Dr. C.S. Briggs.
Welsh History Review vol. 27 no. 4 (December 2015)
Welsh Mines Society Newsletter no. 73 (Autumn 2015)
Welsh Railways Archive vol. 6 no. 2 (November 2015)
Welsh Railways Research Circle Newsletter no. 145 (Winter 2015)
Western Front Association Bulletin, almost complete set nos. 56-86 (2000-2010). Donated by Dr. C.S. Briggs.
Journals Current Awareness
Ancient Monuments Society / Friends of Friendless Churches Newsletter no. 03:2015, p. 5: ‘Historic Environment (Wales) Bill’; p. 6 ‘Further Tales from Friends’ Churches’ includes reports about nine Welsh churches; p. 12 ff., ‘Casework’ section by Matthew Saunders and Lucie Carayon includes 390, High Street, Bangor (threat of demolition); Keeperes [sic] Cottage, Rhoose, Barry (objection by the Society to proposed partial demolition in course of conversion); Siloam Chapel, Bontnewydd, Caernarfon (clarification sought on details of proposed residential conversion); All Saints Church, Llanelli (proposed ‘completely unacceptable treatment’ of the building in course of a conversion); Old St. Peter’s Church, Peterstone Wentlooge (the conversion of this Grade I listed building by architect Richard Dean ‘a model of its kind’, the Society hopes); St. John, Rhosllanerchrugog (the Society ‘reflected on the detailing’ of a conversion scheme); p. 22: Report on the AGM of the Friends of Friendless Churches which took place at Rhowscrowther, Pembs.p. 25 ff.: ‘Gleanings’ section reports on a great number of Welsh sites and on the Welsh Religious Buildings Trust.
Archaeologia Cambrensis vol. 164, p. 262: Review, by Gwyn Meirion Jones, of Discovering the Historic Houses of Snowdonia by Richard Suggett and Margaret Dunn
British Archaeology no. 146, p. 16: ‘In search of the Stonehenge Quarries’ [in Pembrokeshire] by Mike Parker Pearson et al.; p. 65: ‘Casefiles: 23. Tyntyle, Rhondda’ by Cyllene Griffiths [listed building caseworker for Wales at the CBA]
Current Archaeology no. 310, p. 7: News in Brief section: ‘Consulting on the past’, a news item on the merged Historic Scotland and RCAHMS holding a public consultation on its draft corporate plan; p. 10: Upfront News section: ‘Crannog clues at Monmouth?’[about radiocarbon dating of a Neolithic timber]; p. 20: ‘Bryn Celli Ddu: Exploring a hidden ritual landscape’ by Ffion Reynolds et al.
Past: The Newsletter of the Prehistoric Society no. 81, p. 1: ‘Neolithic houses from Llanfaethlu, Anglesey’ by Catherine Rees and Matt Jones
Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society vol. 81, p. 1: ‘A Hafted Halberd Excavated at Trecastell, Powys: from Undercurrent to Uptake – the Emergence and Contextualization of Halberds in Wales and North-west Europe’ by Stuart Needham & contributors
Site Recorder no. 1592, p. 8: ‘Harlech Castle’ by Stephen Jones [Cadw’s restoration and new build project in Harlech]
Welsh History Review vol. 27 no. 4, p. 672: ‘The Significance of St. Davids and Its Bishops During the Fifteenth Century’ by Ralph A. Griffiths [former Chairman of the Commissioners, RCAHMW]; p. 789: Review, by Prys Morgan, of Historic Houses of Snowdonia by Richard Suggett and Margaret Dunn.
If you have any comments or enquiries, please feel free to contact us:
NMRW Library and Enquiries Service
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales
Ceredigion SY23 3BU