National Monuments Record of Wales Archives and Library Bulletin – July 2015
Welcome to the latest monthly edition of the National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW) Archives and Library Bulletin which lists all newly catalogued material.
The archival items, library books and journal articles are all available to view in our public reading room. The full archive catalogue is available on Coflein and contains digital copies of many of the items listed.
Our Library and reading room is open:
Monday – Friday 09.30 – 16.00, Wednesday 10.30 – 16.30.
An appointment is advisable.
NMR Site Files
Photo surveys of Dolarddyn Hall taken by RCAHMW in 1971 and 1983.C608232, 608243
Measured drawings of Dolarddyn Hall produced by Peter Smith, 1983. C608237
Additions to Photo survey showing the Lower Clydach aqueduct on the Swansea Canal. C602707
General Information Collection
Report entitled Proposed Roman Route from Trawscoed to Wiston, produced by Martin Davies, 2015. C608195
John B. Hilling Collection
Collection of c.690 colour slides taken by John Hilling in a private capacity between 1965 and 1996, featured subjects include castles, religious buildings and industrial sites in Wales. C608202
Cambrian Archaeological Projects Archive
St Cadfan’s Church, Tywyn – archaeological Watching Brief report no 686, produced by Kevin Blockley, 2014. C608664
Newtown Methodist Church – archaeological watching brief report no 684 produced by Kevin Blockley, 2014. C608671
St Ffraid’s Church, Llansantffraid – archaeological investigation and watching brief report no 677 produced by Kevin Blockle, 2012. C608690
Llanwrin church, Machynlleth, Powys – archaeological watching brief report no 672, produced by Kevin Blockley, 2011. C608678
Cambria Archaeology Project Archives
Folder containing digital survey information about Kymin and Beaulieu Wood. C608684
Archaeology Wales Project Archives
Project Archives relating to work carried out at the following sites:
- St Margaret’s Church, Roath (Watching Brief), AW ref no P1091, report no 652 produced by Cambrian Archaeological Projects/Archaeology Wales Ltd, Sept 2010. C607823
- St Cadoc’s Church, Llancarfan (Historical Research & Building Recording), AW case no P1095; report no 1005, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd.March 2011. C607828
- Land adjacent to Heol yr Eglwys, Eglwyswrw, AW case no P2024, report no 1029, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd.October 2011. C607830
- Land adjacent to Slade Lane, Haverfordwest, AW case no P2025, report nos 1027 and 1028, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd.October 2007-2013. C607835
- Dol Newydd Wind Turbines, Blaenffos, AW case no P2028, report no 1024, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd.October 2007-2013. C607847
- Stormy Castle, Llanmadoc, AW case no P2011, report no 1023, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011. C607888
- Llanwnwr Farm, Goodwick, AW case no P2036, report nos 1039 and 1312, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2014. C607896
- Tyllwyd Hydro Schemes, Cwmystwyth, AW case no P2037, report nos 1041 and 1290, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2014. C607961
- Blaenavon Forgotten Landscapes Project, AW case no P2039, report nos 1046, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2014. C607966
- The Caravan Hospital, St Hilary, AW case no P2063, report no 1068, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2012. C607969
- The Old School, Pencader, AW case no P2066, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2012. C607975
- Land adjacent to Blaencilgoed Farm, Luchurch, Pembrokeshire, AW case no P2072, report no 1075, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2012. C607976
- Dinas Baglan Road, Baglan, AW case no P2079, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2012. C607986
- Began Road and Bridge Road, St Mellons, AW case no P2084, report nos 1087, 1088 amd 1124, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2012. C607991
- Wynnstay inn, Llansilin, AW case no P2099, report no 1094 produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2013. C608012
- Coed y Gilfach, Abertillery, AW case no P2100, report no 1098 produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2013. C608013
- Maes Glas, Tonypandy (Site 2), AW case no P2102, report no 1127 produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2013. C608016
- Marshfield Road, Marshfield, Newport, AW case no P2104, report no 1099 produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2013. C608019
- The Old Barn, Fecham Farm, Ferndale, AW case no P2107, report no 1102 produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2013. C608023
- Alexon House, Ferndale, AW case no P2108, report no 1112 produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2013. C608026
- Land adjacent to St Twrog’s Church. Llandwrog, AW case no P2088, report no 1107, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2012. C607999
- Kenfig Industrial estate, Margam, AW case no P2097, report no 1147 produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2013. C608003
- Alltwen Gardens, Pontardawe, AW case no P2098, report no 1090 produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2013. C608006
- Wynnstay inn, Llansilin, AW case no P2099, report no 1094 produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2013. C608009
- Land at Lower Scoveston, Milford Haven (Watching Brief), AW case no P2109, report no 1126 produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2013. C608029
- Land west of Crunwere House, Crosslands Road, Llanteg (archaeological appraisal), AW case no P2114, report no 1104 produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2013. C608033
- Blaina Hospital, Nantyglo, AW case no P2115, report no 1105 produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2013. C608036
- Brondini Fach, Llanelli, AW case no P2143, report no 1139, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2012-2013. C608074
- Knapp Farm, Redberth, Tenby, AW case no P2142, report no 1142, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2012-2013. C608077
- Pant y Defaid, Llandysul, AW case no P2141, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2013. C608080
- Cilwnwg Fach, Felinfoel, AW case no P2144, report no 1140, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2013. C608085
- Cwmcarn Forest Drive Mountain Trail, Caerphilly, AW case no P2145, report nos 1157 &1196, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2013. C608089
- Bethel Baptist Church, Pomeroy Street, Cardiff, AW case no P2119, report no 1114 produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2013. C608039
- Llysaber, Newport, Pembrokeshire, AW case no P2121, report no 1129 produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2013. C608042
- Goat Street, Haverfordwest, AW case no P2124, report no 1147 produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2013. C608045
- Bradbury Farm, Crick, AW case no P2125, report no 1119 produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2013. C608049
- Trecwn Biomass Plan, Pembrokeshire, AW case no P2128, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2014. C608052
- Land adjacent to Western Way, Pembroke Dock, AW case no P2129, report no 1132, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2014. C608053
- 1 Church Cottage, Caerleon, AW case no P2130, report no 1182, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2013. C608056
- South Road, Sully, AW case no P2131, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2013. C608059
- Land adjacent to Bridgr Road, Old St Mellons, AW case no P2132, report no 1133, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2013. C608060
- St David’s RNLI Lifeboat Station, St Justinian’s, St David’s, AW case no P2135, report nos 1143 & 1247, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2013-2014. C608061
- Penlanlas Farm, Rhydyfelin, AW case no P2136, report no 1138, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2013. C608067
- A487 Aberarth, Ceredigion, AW case no P2137, report nos 1148 & 1195, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2013. C608070
- Margam Country Park Mountain Bike Trail, Margam, AW case no P2146, report nos 1198, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2014. C608099
- Land at Primrose Hill, Cowbridge, AW case no P2147, report nos 1144, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2013. C608104
- Skokholm Island, Pembrokeshire, AW case no P2148, report no 1162, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2013. C608107
- Crugmore Farm, Penparc, Cardigan, AW case no P2149, report nos 1187 & 1250, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2014. C608111
- Penllyn Farm, Cowbridge, AW case no P2150, report no 1146, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2013. C608116
- Barrett’s Hill, Steynton, Pembs, AW case no P2155, report no 1150, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2013. C608119
- Upper House Farm, Standard Street, Crickhowell, AW case no P2162, report no 1176, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2013. C608122
- Southern House, 18 Water Street, Abergele, AW case no P2165, report no 1169, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2013. C608125
- Penrhiwgwaith Farm, Hollybush, New Tredegar, AW case no P2175, report no 1212, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2014. C608128
- The former Magistrates Court and TA Buildings, Back Lane, Newtown, AW case no P2180, report nos 1175 & 1262, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2014. C608132
- White Lion Farm, Tavernspite, Carmarthenshire, AW case no P2213, report no 1217, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2014. C608136
- Newtown Wesleyan Chapel, AW case no P1088, produced by Archaeology Wales Ltd. 2011-2014. C608150
Border Archaeology Survey Archives
Survey archives, including online reports, for the following sites:
- Bryn Gwynt Lane, Penrhynside, Llandudno. Produced by Border Archaeology c2008. C608152
- Rassau Phase 2 (Garnlydan) Mains Refurbishment Scheme, Beaufort, Blaenau Gwent. Produced by Border Archaeology c2007. C608158
- Various locations in Rhuddlan. Produced by Border Archaeology c.2001. C608164
- Leicester Terrace, Denbigh. Produced by Border Archaeology c.2002. C608165
- Llangattock Lingoed Church. Produced by Border Archaeology c.2003. C608166
- Garth Phase 2. Produced by Border Archaeology c.2006. C608167
- Grosmont Church. Produced by Border Archaeology c.2004. C608171
- St Arvan’s Water Network Rehabilitation Scheme, Tintern. Produced by Border Archaeology c.2003-2004. C608172
- Sleath Farmhouse, Llangua. Produced by Border Archaeology c.2009-2011. C608177
- Usk to Gwernesney Mains Refurbishment Scheme. Produced by Border Archaeology c.2007. C608182
- Water Network Refurbishment Scheme, Porthcawl. Produced by Border Archaeology c.2005. C608185
- The rear of 6 High Street, Caerleon. Produced by Border Archaeology c.2009. C608186
- Cardiff (Llanishen) Mains Refurbishment Scheme. Produced by Border Archaeology c.2006. C608190
- St Donats, Vale of Glamorgan. Produced by Border Archaeology c.2005. C608191
Cadw Field Monument Warden Colour Photographs
Photographs taken by Cadw field monument wardens during the course of their monitoring visits to Welsh Scheduled Ancient Monuments, which are legally protected sites or monuments of archaeological significance. 27 boxes C608305
Including mounted prints of the following sites:
- Enclosed Settlement, Mynydd Egryn, SAM number ME153, taken by M. Mason, Cadw, in April 1999. C 608368
- Settlement above Egryn Abbey, SAM number ME122, taken by M. Mason, Cadw, between April and June 1999. C608369
- Hengwm long cairns, SAM number ME007, taken by M. Mason, Cadw, June 1999. C608370
Archaeological Reports/Evaluations (non Trust)
Digital archive relating to Restoration Works on the Cefn Flight of Fourteen Locks. Produced by Headland Archaeology (UK) Ltd: Project No. CFOL10. The file comprises Archaeological Monitoring Report, site drawings, photographs and negatives. C608348
Llysun Motte and Bailey SAM MG072 Completion Report prepared by AQB Historic Landcapes and deposited with NMRW as a condition of scheduled monument consent, 2015. C608641
United Theological College, Aberystwyth, Architect’s Drawings
Pencil and colour wash drawing of the proposed Theological College, (formerly the Hotel Cambria), c.1906, showing plan of first floor with caption ‘front block same plan on the 2nd and 3rd floor’, drawing Number 26704. C608140
Ink and colour wash drawing of the proposed Theological College, (formerly the Hotel Cambria), c.1906, showing ground and first floor and sections, drawing Number 9704. C608141
Brecon Inventory – Hillforts and Roman Remains
Illustrative material produced in the course of the publication of RCAHMW volume Brecknock Inventory: The Prehistoric and Roman Monuments, Hillforts and Roman Remains, published by the RCAHMW in 1986. C608173
RCAHMW Uplands Initiative Aberedw Hill Survey Archive
Digital data for mapping, and colour photographs associated with Aberedw Hill Survey Archive, undertaken by Trysor, 2007-2008. C608344
C.H. Houlder Collection
Folder of items marked ‘Published excavations’ consisting of field notes, tracings, map extracts and original drawings of finds from Welsh sites and non-Welsh sites, collated and produced by Christopher Houlder. C607963
Material generated by the Neolithic Axes Study Group consisting of a large number of distribution maps, location maps, geological maps and plans of sites of axe factories in England and Wales, collated by Christopher Houlder. C608096
Three original drawings by B.H. Issac of axe head finds from two Cardiganshire sites, dated 1891.C607965
Investigators’ Digital Photography
Digital photographic surveys (2015) of the following sites:
- Cairn I, Mynydd Rhiw C607844
- Cairn II, Mynydd Rhiw C607850
- Cairn III, Mynydd Rhiw C607857
- Cairn IV on Mynydd Rhiw. C607979
- Cairn V on Mynydd Rhiw. C607987
- Various sites and buildings in Machynlleth. C608309
- Cardiff City Hall. C608406
- Polish War Memorial outside Cardiff City Hall. C608408
- Guardian statue, Abertillery C607809
- Pontsticill Inscribed Stone, Llanddetty C607812
- Clo Cadno Bank C607815
- St Dials church foundations. C607817
- Dukes Table, Tredegar. C607819
- Fourteen Locks, Crumlin. C607821
- Sardis Chapel, Llanfihangel-y-Pennant. C607862
- Cefn Gelli-gaer inscribed stone C608298
- Mynydd Llangynidr farmstead. C608300
- Cornish Hall, Holt C607908
A.J. Parkinson Slide Collection
Colour slides, taken 1985-1995 of the following sites:
- Various features of the dockyard, Pembroke Royal Dockyard. C607804
- Various decorative features in Penley Old Hall. C607805
- Penmon Priory dovecote. C607806
- Detail of wall painting and views of rood screen and shrine in St Melangell’s Church, Pennant Melangell. C607807
- Detail of panelling and stairs in the derelict Penpedwast. C607808
- Detail of thatch and crucks in Penrhiw Beili. C607811
- Pentre Bychan Dovecote. C607814
- Architectural detail at Pentre Old House. C607824
- Barn at Pen-Twyn, C607825
- Front elevation and wrought iron detail in front of Penuel Chapel, Carmarthen. C607826
- Penuel Chapel, Llangorse. C607827
- Various chapels and sites in Monmouthshire. C607829
- Repair/restoration of stone window frames at Penyclawdd Court, marked copyright Monmouth District Council. C607833
- Various sites in Monmouthshire. C607834
- Panelling and architectural detail at Hillgrove. C607836
- Various chapels and sites in Montgomeryshire. C607837
- Various sites and former sites in Cardiff. C607838
- Original beam structure at Cefn-Ceido Hall barn range. C607839
- Various chapels and sites in Radnorshire. C607840
- The Old Rectory remains, Angle. C607856
- Original beams and roof construction at Pentre Ifan. C607861
- Ruined remains of Brownslade Home Farm. C607880
- Ruined remains of Pricaston Farmstead. C607881
- Various sites in Pembrokeshire. C607882, 607883, 607884
- Various chapels in Pembrokeshire. C607885
- Various sites in Welshpool. C607886
- Detail of exterior ceramic tile decoration at the White Horse, Aberystwyth. C607887
- Detail of interior stone carving on archway in St Giles’ Church, Wrexham. C607890
- Great Vaenor, Vaynor Farm buildings. C607879
- Foundations of Penrhiw, possible longhouse. C607892
- Detail of wall painting/decoration at Tegfryn. C607893
- Cwmystwyth Lead Mine complex and of a redundant mill wheel at Manglas, Cwman. C607894
- Architectural features at White House, Isycoed. C607898
- Various industrial sites in S. Wales and distribution map – sheet marked ‘slides used in Antiquaries Lecture’. C607899
- Ornate plaster work at various sites, not all in Wales, produced by A.J. Parkinson. C607902
General Digital Donations Collection
Digital images showing carriage shed works at Newport, produced or collated by John Gibbon. C607906
Digital images copied from original drawings and documents held by Capel Pantycelyn, the copies were produced by National Library of Wales and the original papers are held by the chapel, including the following: C608196
- Welsh Methodist Assurance document dated 1887
- Liverpool & London Insurance Certificate dated 1887
- Measured section drawings of Williams Pantycelyn Chapel, dated 1886.
- Measured elevation drawings of Williams Pantycelyn Chapel, dated 1886.
- Measured ground floor and gallery plans of Williams Pantycelyn Chapel, dated 1886.
- National Trust archaeological survey report on Carneddau (North) revisional survey Season 1, 2003 produced by Salvatore Garfi. C608265
- National Trust archaeological survey report on The Aerial Ropeway in Cwm Bychan – final report by H. Howard, 1989-1990. C608272
- National Trust archaeological survey, Site Inventory list which is annotated, SMR 46001-46310, on Carneddau (South and central areas), date range 1985-6 and 1990-93 and 1997. C608274
- Erddig: A survey of the Landscape by Christopher Gallagher for the National Trust, September 1999 – Part 1: General Introduction and History of the Landscape. Erddig: A survey of the Landscape by Christopher Gallagher for the National Trust, 1999 – Part 2: Appendices, Appendix A: Bibliograhy. C608302, 608303, 608304
- Berthllwyd, Ystradfellte, South Wales, report by Emma Plunkett Dillon, October 1993, SMR 87001-87012. C608307
- Archaeological Survey of Ynys Mon/Isle of Anglesey properties by The Muckle Partnership for the National Trust, 2004. Properties include Cae Glan y Mor, Cemaes, Cemlyn, Dinas Gynfor, Plas Newydd, Moryn: Boston Estate, Fedw Fawr, Bryn Offa/Ffynnon Oer, Clegir Mawr and Porth Dafarch. C608308
- Archaeological Survey of the Ysbyty Estate, North Wales – a partial inventory of the un-enclosed land with sites within, by Salvatore Garfi for the National Trust, 1998-1999. SMR Numbers 47001-47272. C608328
- Landscape Survey of Bryn-y-Ffa Common (Bryn Offa), Anglesey by Gari Wyn Lewis, 1994. C608365
- The Dolaucothi Gold Mines – Archaeological Appraisal, Franco-British Team Intermediate Report, August 2000. Includes assessment of remains above and below ground. C608366
- Goodwick Commons, South Wales, Report by Sean Taylor, 2000. Properties/areas include Ciliau, Clun Fach, Garn Fawr, Garnwnda, Llanwnda, Pontiago, Rhos-loew and Waun Ffynnon Clun. C608367
- Dinas Emrys, A History of the Site, Report by Sheila Jones, 1993. C608427
RCAHMW Uplands Initiative Beguildy Survey Archive
Digital records from a survey archive produced through an Uplands Survey of Beguildy undertaken by the Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust. C608634
RCAHMW Uplands Initiative Black Mountains Central (North) Survey
Miscellaneous digital files associated with a survey archive from the Black Mountains Central (North) Archaeological Survey, undertaken by Trysor. C608635
Cotswold Archaeology Project Archives
Project archives relating to the following work:
- Archaeological Evaluation of former Hendre Public House, Trowbridge Cardiff. Produced in 2013 by Cotswold Archaeology: Project No: 4569 Report No: 13609. C608638
- Archaeological Watching Brief of Glan yr Afon Gas Works, Ystalyfera, Neath, Port Talbot. Produced in 2013 by Cotswold Archaeology: Project No: 4572, Report No: 13697. C608639
- Archaeological Watching Brief of Mynydd Brombil Meteorological Mast, Margam, Neath Port Talbot. Produced in 2014 by Cotswold Archaeology: Project No: 4587, Report No: 14013. C608640
- Land at Brocastle Bridgend, Programme of Archaeological Recording Report produced by Derek Evans, 2004. CA Project no 1818 CA report no 04197 C608681
- Land adjacent to Hendre Isaf Farm, Trowbridge, Cardiff, Archaeological Evaluation Report produced by Mark Brett, 2005. CA Project:1871 CA Report:05052. C608682
Correspondence and photos relating to the Godfrey Road Carriage Shed, produced or collated by John Gibbon. C607907
Actes du troisième colloque international d’études gauloises, celtiques et protoceltiques, Ogam-Tradition Celtique, Rennes, 1963.
Appleby, Catrina et al., 2015, The Home Front in Britain 1914 – 18: An archaeological handbook, Council for British Archaeology, York.
Avery, Michael, 1968, Excavations at Meare East, 1966: An interim report and discussion, Somerset Archaeology and Natural History, Taunton.
Bacon, Edward, 1976, The great archaeologists: the modern world’s discovery of ancient civilisations as originally reported in the pages of ‘The Illustrated London News’ from 1842 to the present day, Book Club Associates, Norwich.
CADW, 1987, Welsh Historic Monuments (set of 7 Welsh and 7 English cards), CADW, Cardiff.
Chitty, Lily F. and Coombs, David, 1968, Bronze hoard and burial mound found at Greensborough Farm, Shenstone, Staffordshire, in 1824.
Christie, Patricia M., 1962(?), The Stonehenge Cursus, Wiltshire Archaeological & Natural History Magazine, Devizes.
Crawford, O. S., 1924, Air survey & archaeology, H.M S.O, Southampton.
Deetz, James, 1960, Supplement to The Howland Quarterly, Vol. XXIV, January – April 1960, Nos. 2 & 3, The Pilgrim John Howland Society (Incorporated), North Smithfield, R. I.
Dimbleby, G. W., 1978, The scientific treatment of material from rescue excavations: a report by a working party of the Committee for Rescue Archaeology of the Ancient Monuments Board for England, Department of the Environment, London.
DOE, 1973, DOE Rescue Excavations: A Meeting held at Fortress House, London, on 22nd February 1973, DOE, London.
Dornier, Ann, 1967, Kent’s Moat, Sheldon, Birmingham, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
Eames, Elizabeth, 1982, Notes on the Decorated Stone Roundels in the Corona and Trinity Chapel in Canterbury Cathedral, British Archaeological Association, London.
Eames, Elizabeth, 1983, An Investigation of the Tile Pavement in the North Aisle of the Presbytery, Winchester Cathedral, in 1969, British Archaeological Association, London.
Eames, Elizabeth S., 1975, Decorated Tile Pavements in English Medieval Houses, Rotterdam Papers. II, Rotterdam.
Fox, Aileen, 1954, Excavations at Kestor an early iron age settlement near Chagford, Devon, British Council for Archaeology.
Groenman-van Waateringe, W. and Butler, J. J., 1976, The Ballynoe Stone Circle. Excavations by A. E. van Giffen 1937 – 1938, Co. Down, Ireland, Palaeohistoria, Groningen.
Hampson, Jill, 1982, Removal of a records centre and its contents: a case study, Society of Archivists, Sheffield.
H.M.S.O, The preservation of historic buildings and ancient monuments, H.M.S.O, London.
Hughes, H. M., 1912, John Penry, y Merthyr Cymraeg, 1559-1593, Aberafon, Port Talbot.
Johnson, Glen K., 2015, Cardigan Castle.
Koerver,Hans Joachim, 2012, German submarine warfare 1914-1918 in the eyes of British Intelligence: selected sources from the British National Archives, Kew, LIS Reinisch, Steinbach.
Lilley, K. D., 2001, Urban planning and the design of towns in the Middle Ages: the Earls of Devon and their ‘new towns’, SPON Press.
O’Neil, Helen E., 1956, Prestbury moat, a manor house of the bishops of Hereford in Gloucestershire.
Organisation and Methods Division, 1960, Recording of ancient monuments and buildings, H. M. Treasury, London.
Owen, John, 2013, National Eisteddfod lecture August 2013: Emrys Ap Iwan – the man (1848 – 1906).
Pryce, Sarah Catherine, 2013, Treasured Memories, Sarah Catherine Pryce, Jeremy Pryce, Llandinam.
Radford, C. A. Ralegh, The Roman villa at Low Ham.
Radford, C. A. Ralegh, 1955, The excavations at Glastonbury Abbey.
Rahtz, Philip A. and Ap Simon, A. M., 1957, Neolithic and beaker sites at Downtown, near Salisbury, Wiltshire.
RCAHMW, 1931, Ninth report of the Royal Commission appointed to inventory the ancient and historical monuments and constructions of Wales and Monmouthshire and to specify those which seem most worthy of preservation, H.M.S.O, London.
RCAHMW, 1937, The Royal Commission on the ancient and historical monuments and constructions of Wales and Monmouthshire. Tenth interim report ancient monuments of Anglesey, H.M.S.O, London.
RCAHMW, 1987, Hill – Forts and Roman Monuments of Brecknock: Seventeenth Interim Report, H.M.S.O, London.
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments, 1996, Recording historic buildings: a descriptive specification, Royal Commission on Historical Monuments, London.
Savory, Hubert Newman, 1968, Spain and Portugal. The prehistory of the Iberian peninsula, Thames & Hudson, London; Nijmegen printed.
Smaal, A. P. et al.,1988, Kijken naar monumenten in Nederland, Bosch & Keuning, Baarn.
Smith, George, 1973, Excavation of the Stonehenge Avenue at West Amesbury, Wiltshire, Wiltshire Archaeological & Natural History Magazine, Devizes.
Stanford, S. C., 1968, Roman forts at Leintwardine and Buckton, Stroud News & Journal Ltd., Stroud.
Stoklund, Bjarne, 1983, Folklife research: between history and anthropology a 75th anniversary lecture, National Museum of Wales, 1983.
Vatcher, Lance and Faith, 1973, Excavation of three post-holes in Stonehenge car park, Wiltshire Archaeological & Natural History Magazine, Devizes.
Welsh Office, 1992, Planning policy guidance: coastal planning, HMSO, London.
Wollner, Diana and Wollner, Alexander, 1956, Waste Berry: An Unrecorded earthwork in the Parish of Brixton Centred Nat. Grid 20/572:539, The Devonshire Press, Torquay.
Woodfield, Paul, 1966, Yellow glazed wares of the seventeenth century, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
Archaeologia Cambrensis vol. 163 (2014)
Below! Quarterly Journal of the Shropshire Caving & Mining Club, no. 2:2015 (Summer 2015)
Current Archaeology no. 305 (August 2015)
Denbighshire Historical Society Transactions vol. 63 (2015)
Historic Churches: The Conservation and Repair of Ecclesiastical Buildings (The Building Conservation Directory Special Report Magazine) no. 22 (2015)
Historic Environment Bill E-bulletin (English and Welsh) no. 14 (July 2015)
Montgomeryshire Collections vol. 103 (2015)
Panel for Historical Engineering Works Newsletter no. 146 (June 2015)
Pembrokeshire Life (July 2015)
Railway and Canal Historical Society Bulletin no. 456 (Jul-Aug 2015)
Railway and Canal Historical Society Journal vol. 38 pt. 5 no. 223 (July 2015)
Site Recorder no. 1588 (August 2015)
Welsh Mills Society Newsletter no. 120 (July 2015)
Welsh Railways Archive vol. 6 no. 1 (May 2015)
Welsh Railways Archive, Index to vol. 5
Welsh Railways Archive, Supplement to vol. 5
Welsh Railways Research Circle Newsletter no. 143 (July 2015)
Journals Current Awareness
Archaeologia Cambrensis vol. 163, p. 23: ‘Mesolithic human and animal footprints at Lydstep Haven, Pembrokeshire, 2010: the environmental context’ by Ken Murphy, Astrid E. Caseldine, Louise Barker, Susan Fielding, Steve Burrow and Sarah Carlsen; p. 173: ‘Llancayo Farm Roman marching camp, Usk, Monmouthshire’ by Oliver Davis and Toby Driver; Reviews section, p. 261: Review by Bob Silvester of Llywelyn ap Gruffudd, Prince of Wales by J. Beverley Smith [former Chairman of the Commissioners, RCAHMW];
Current Archaeology no. 305, p. 49: in ‘Sherds: From the trowel’s edge’ column by Christopher Catling, an account of a performance, at this year’s CifA conference, of extracts from The Archaeologist’s Wife, an opera about Tessa Wheeler and her 1926 excavation of the Caerleon Roman amphitheatre. The opera is a collaboration by Royal Commissioner Dr. Mark Redknap (NMW) and Peter Morgan Barnes (Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama)
Railway and Canal Historical Society Journal vol. 38 pt. 5 no. 223, p. 332: Review of Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and Canal World Heritage Site by Peter Wakelin
Welsh Mills Society Newsletter no. 120, p. 6: Report by Hilary Malaws describing a visit by the Society to the National Monuments Record of Wales
If you have any comments or enquiries, please feel free to contact us:
NMRW Library and Enquiries Service
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales