National Monuments Record of Wales Archives and Library Bulletin – June 2015
Welcome to the latest monthly edition of the National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW) Archives and Library Bulletin which lists all newly catalogued material. The archival items, library books and journal articles are all available to view in our public reading room. The full archive catalogue is available on Coflein and contains digital copies of many of the items listed. All publications may be found on our online Library Catalogue.
Our Library and reading room is open:
Monday – Friday 09.30 – 16.00,
Wednesday 10.30 – 16.30.
An appointment is advisable.
Vernon D. Emmanuel Collection
Digital photographs showing:
- Aspects of several iron and steel works in South Wales, taken by Vernon Emmanuel between 1970-1990: C606486
- Aspects of Carmathen Bay and Usk power stations, taken by Vernon Emmanuel between 1970-1990: C606544
- Cefn Golau cholera cemetary, Tredegar, taken by Vernon Emmanuel in 1981 and a digital account of the cholera epidemics of 1832-33 and 1866: C606845
- Miscellaneous sites in South Wales, including chapels, brickworks and lime quarries, taken by Vernon Emmanuel in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s: C607308
Headland Archaeology Projects Archive
Project archives relating to archaeological monitoring and investigation conducted by Headland Archaeology (UK) Ltd. into the following sites and events:
- The removal of church pews during renovation work at Ss Peter, Paul and John, Llantrisant Fawr, Dec 2014: C606588
- Land at Langton Farm, Scleddau, March 2015: C606591
- The installation of two wind turbines and associated work at Princes Gate Spring Water, 2014: C606613, C606615, C606616 and C606617
- The installation of a single wind turbine and associated work at Newlands Farm, Port Talbot, 2014: C606660
- Engineering pits at Llwyn Celyn Farmstead, Cwmyoy, 2015: C606713
Review of the biography “Edward Thomas:From Adlestrop to Arras” by Jean Moorcroft Wilson, produced by John Sutherland and published in The Times, Sat May 23rd, 2015. Edward Thomas was a Commissioner for a brief period: C606576
Obituary for the Earl of Plymouth (former Chair of RCAHMW ) published in The Times, 4th Oct 1943: C606897
Black and white photograph of Douglas Hague, taken at Worthing: C606901
RCAHMW Digital Survey
Archive relating to an RCAHMW digital survey of Pont Ceunant Hydro-Electric power Station: C606725
Emergency Recording Collection
Digital photographic record of Monfryn Cottage, Bwlch Derwyn, produced by Trevor Allinson 2014-15 and deposited with NMRW as a condition of planning consent: C606756
Digital photographic record (Jan 2015) and measured drawings (2013) of Bethany English Baptist Church, Treherbert produced by Alwyn Jones Architects, 2013-15, and deposited with NMRW as a condition of planning consent: C607244, C607255
Report comprising colour photographs, measured plans and elevation drawings of Bethany English Baptist Church, Treherbert produced by Alwyn Jones Architects, 2013-15, and deposited with NMRW as a condition of planning consent: C607252
Digital photographic record (April 2015) and measured drawings (2014) of Trinity English C.M. Chapel, Tonypandy produced by H.D. Williams, 2014-15, and deposited with NMRW as a condition of planning consent: C607276
Melin – Journal of the Welsh Mills Society Collection
Box of Illustrative material submitted for inclusion in Melin – the journal of the Welsh Mills Society. Donated by the editor of the journal, Brian Malaws: C606734
RCAHMW Digital Survey Collection
Lan Lash Farm Complex: archive relating to a revision of an RCAHMW digital survey of Lan Lash Farm in 2010: C606751
Pont Ceunant Hydro-Electric Power Station: Archive from an RCAHMW digital survey archive of Pont Ceunant Hydro-Electric Power Station in August 2012: C606725
Llanelwedd Pillow Mound Excavation Archive
One box containing a black and white photographic survey of excavations on both pillow mounds 1 and 2, at Llanelwedd, carried out by C.J. Spurgeon of the RCAHMW: C606805
General Digital Donations Collection
“Jottings and Historical Records with Index on the History of South Pembrokeshire Vol.2 Manorial Accounts 1324-1333”. Research notes compiled by Basil H.J. Hughes, 1996: C606820
“Pembrokeshire Places & People; central and northern area; Haverfordwest including coal mining – Rhoose Hundred.odt.”. Research notes compiled by Basil H.J. Hughes, 2015: C606822
“Pembrokeshire – the Milford Haven Rhoose Hundred”. Research notes compiled by Basil H.J. Hughes, 2015: C606824
Report on an excavation of the Sarn Helen Roman Road at Lledrod Ceredigion, prepared for Trisgell Ltd by Dr Iestyn Jones of Archaeology Wales, June 2015: C607230
Unpublished Master’s thesis entitled ” A Reassessment of the Neolithic Chambered Tombs of South-West Wales (Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire) produced by Christopher Thompson Barker, 1990: C606855
History of the Royal Commission
Various materials relating to the history of the Royal Commission including:
- Notes from early Commissioners meetings including programmes of visits, dated 1909-1915. 606865
- Bound volume entitled Minutes of Evidence Report IX (1931) questionnaires reports of Inspectors of Ancient Monuments 606866
- Nine reports of the Royal Commission, presented to both Houses of Parliament by Command of His Majesty, between 1910 and 1931. 606867
- Bound volume entitled Minutes of Evidence, Volume 1, 1912 (2 copies).
- Schedule of parishes for Montgomery compiled for RCAHMW Inventory
- Comments on the Pembrokeshire Inventory compiled by C. Fox and E. Owen.
- Witness questionnaires produced for RCAHMW Cardiff meeting, c.1910.
- Caricature of Dr Hogg, produced by Leonard Monroe, the caption reads “Extract from Secretary’s Report – It is essential that the Secretary should have leisure to digest the material put before him”
- Group photograph of staff and Commissioners at Gliffaes Hotel, 1982.
- Report and sketch plans relating to earthworks around Trueman’s Hill, Hawarden, produced by Tom Welsh, c.2015: C606876
- Report entitled “Memorial of the Corporation of Carnarvon praying the Arbitration Committee of the Privy Council to locate the Welsh National Museum in Carnarvon Castle in the said Borough” 1905: C606881
- Copy of a guidebook dated 2000 relating to St Twrog’s Church, produced by Revd R. Lewis Edwards: C607326
- Copy of a guidebook entitled Welsh Gold The story of Gwynfynydd Gold Mine, dated 1993: C607329
- Copies of measured drawings showing the underground layout at Gwynfynydd Gold Mine 1985-1996: C607333
- Field drawings produced by Brian Malaws during his visit to Gwynfynydd Gold Mine, Feb 1999: C607334
Cambrian Archaeological Projects Archive
Digital photographs from a desk based assessment and standing building recording relating to Furnace Farm, Eglwysbach, Conwy Valley. CAP Report Number 634: C606882
Undated black and white photograph showing the vessel River Loyne alongside a quayside with transit sheds and LMS railway wagons in the background: C606892
Archaeological Diving Unit Archive
24 colour slides and associated list relating to dives in Wales produced by the Archaeological Diving Unit and transferred to NMRW by Historic England: C607306
Letter and report relating to 2000 field work on Pwll Fanog, produced by D.M. McElvogue and transferred to NMRW by Historic England: C607307
Felin Dulas, Penrhos, Anglesey; Vertical section/projection of millwork, produced by John Crompton, 2007: C606893
Felin Dulas, Penrhos, Anglesey; plan/projection of millwork, produced by John Crompton, 2007: C606894
Felin Dulas, Penrhos, Anglesey; measured drawings comprising north-east elevation, stone floor plan and ground floor plan, produced by John Crompton, 2007: C606895
Detailed measured drawing of the wheel at Melin Gwna, Bodorgan, produced by John Crompton: C606896
Cambrian Archaeological Projects Archive
Evaluation brief and measured drawings relating to Archaeological Watching Brief and Desk Based Assessment for the Old Bowling Green, Cannons Lane, Presteigne. CAP Report Number 653: C606898
NMR Site Files
Black and white photograph showing Melin Adda taken by Leonard Monroe, undated: C606930
Black and white photograph showing Penmon Priory Dovecot taken by Leonard Monroe, undated: C606931
Black and white photograph of a c1845 woodcut engraving showing a romanticised view of a pigsty near Llandaff: C606933
Descriptive text and measured drawings by Alwyn B. Walters, 1929, published in The Architects’ Journal for November 20, 1929: C607171
RCAHMW photo survey of Lymore Hall, comprising two black and white photographs, c1910: C607172
Postcard showing exterior view of Lymore Hall with Royal shooting party in the foreground, loaned for copying by Thomas Lloyd, c1909: C607191
Olwen M. Jenkins Slide Collection
Colour slides showing buildings in Blaenavon, produced by Olwen Jenkins, 2002: C606979
Corpus of Early Medieval Inscribed Stones Publication Collection
Digital drawings of inscribed stones, distribution maps, alphabets and patterns. Produced by RCAHMW, as published in A Corpus of Early Medieval Inscribed Stones and Stone Sculptures in Wales: Volume 3, 2013: C607002
A.J. Parkinson Slide Collection
A further 174 sheets of slides have been catalogued to batch level this month.
Photo surveys taken by Brian Malaws in Feb 1999 of the following sites:
- Gwynfynydd Gold Mine, Ganllwyd: C607349, C607371
- Tyddyn Gwladys Gunpowder Works, Ganllwyd: C607361
- Tyddyn Gwladys Lead Mine, Ganllwyd: C607402
- The National Monuments Record (England), H.M.S.O., London.
- Welsh archaeological conference 4th December 1987 – Aberystwyth recording and records in Welsh archaeology, RCAHMW, Aberystwyth.
- Y gweithfeydd glyn ebwy y swyddfeydd cyffredinol/ The works Ebbw Vale the general offices.
- Addoldai Cymru/Welsh Religious Buildings Trust, Llwybr ffydd yr undodwyr/Unitarian faith trail, Addoldai Cymru/Welsh Religious Buildings Trust.
- Allden, Alison, 1982, An analysis of central government (DAHMB) support in 1982/83 for the recording of archaeological sites and landscapes in advance of their destruction, The Prehistoric Society.
- Archaeological Sites and Monuments Record, 1990, Archaeological thesaurus, Archaeological Sites and Monuments Record, Aberdeenshire.
- Archaeology Data Service, 2000, Digital archives from excavation and fieldwork : a guide to good practice (edited by Julian Richards and Damian Robinson ; with additional contributions by Tony Austin … [et al.].), Oxbow Books, Oxford.
- The Association of County Archaeological Officers, 1978, A guide to the establishment of sites and monuments records, The Association of County Archaeological Officers.
- Bevins, R.E. [et al.], 2010, Mineralization in England and Wales, Joint Nature Conservation Committee, Peterborough.
- Bland, Roger and Hobbs, Richard, 2001, Finding our past portable antiquities scheme phase 2: England and Wales application to Heritage Lottery Fund: part 1 outline of project, Resource, London.
- Bland, Roger and Hobbs, Richard, 2001, Finding our past the portable antiquities scheme, phase 2: England & Wales outline bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund, Resource, London.
- Bland, Roger and Hobbs, Richard, 2001, Finding our past: portable antiquities scheme phase 2: England and Wales application to Heritage Lottery Fund part II: project details, Resource, London.
- Bland, Roger and Hobbs, Richard, 2001, Finding our past the portable antiquities scheme, phase 2: England and Wales outline bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund 4. tasks, outcomes and assessment of the scheme, Resource, London.
- Brown, John, 1983, Henebion Cymru: historic monuments of Wales: Ways of making them more enjoyable, more enlightening, more profitable, John Brown Tourism Marketing and Development, Worcester.
- Business Research Centre, 2001, Survey of UK Vertical Aerial Photography, Business Research Centre, Malmesbury.
- Canal & River Trust in Wales, 2014, Beyond the towpath : a ten year strategy for Glandŵr Cymru, Canal & River Trust in Wales, Monmouthshire.
- Carrdus. K. and Miller, G., 2000(?), The search for Britain’s Lost Unique Hill-Figure, Parchment, Oxford.
- Chitty, Gill, 2001, Review of portable antiquities pilot scheme, Hawkshead Archaeology & Conservation, Lancashire.
- Chitty, Gill and Edwards, Rachel, 2004, Review of portable antiquities scheme 2004, Hawkshead Archaeology & Conservation, Lancashire.
- Country Life, 1962, An index of articles on Houses in Country Life from 2nd. June 1950 to 2nd. August 1962, Inclusive, Typescript.
- Cranstone, David, 1985, Park Level Mill, Killhope : interim excavation report, October 1985, Durham County Council, Durham.
- Cronin, J. M., 1927, A Welsh reformation chalice at Dowlais, Wales and the Marches Catholic History Society, Cardiff.
- Cuevillas, Florentino López, 1968, A edade do ferro na Galiza, Real Academia Gallega, A Cruña.
- Davey, Norman, 1923, Studies in tidal power (a facsimile, of the original, in two parts), Constable and Company Limited, London.
- Darkes, Giles and Spence, Mary, 2008, Cartography: an Introduction, British Cartographic Society, London.
- Department for Culture, Media and Sport, 2004, Protecting our marine historic environment: making the system work better, Department for Culture, Media and Sport, London.
- Department of the Environment, Minerals Division,1994, The Reclamation and Management of Metalliferous Mining Sites / Environmental Consultancy University of Sheffield & Richards Moorehead & Laing Ltd., HMSO, London.
- English Heritage, 2004, Farming the historic landscape : caring for farm buildings, English Heritage, London.
- English Heritage, 2005, Wind energy and the historic environment, English Heritage, London.
- English Heritage, 2006, Shoreline management plan review and the historic environment : English heritage guidance, English Heritage, London.
- Firth, Antony, 2013, Historic environment guidance for wave and tidal energy, Fjordr Ltd.
- Fox, Aileen, 1946, Early Christian period: settlement sites & other remains (Extract from ‘a hundred years of Welsh archaeology (1846-1946), Cambrian Archaeological Association, Cardiff.
- Fox, Aileen, 1955, Huts and Enclosures on Gripper’s Hill in the Avon valley, Dartmoor, Reprint from the Transactions of the Devonshire Association for the Advancement of Science, Literature and Art.
- Gaffney, Chris, 2002, The use of geophysical techniques in archaeological evaluations, Institute of Field Archaeologists, Reading.
- Gale, Alison, 1995, Between Tides, A Coastal Survey of Carmarthen Bay : A Pilot Project in Maritime Recording for the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales in partnership with Dyfed Archaeological Trust, RCAHMW, Aberystwyth.
- Grinsell, L.V.,1970, The Barrows of North Devon, Devon Archaeological Society, Torquay.
- Grinsell, L.V., 1971, Somerset Barrows: Part 2: North and East, Somersetshire Archaeological & Natural History Society.
- Hodgson, John, 2001, Archaeological reconstruction : illustrating the past, Institute of Field Archaeologists, Reading.
- Institute of Field Archaeologists, 1985, The institute of field archaeologists: memorandum and articles of association, Institute of Field Archaeologists.
- Jackson, A. A. and Stone, P., 2008, Bedrock geology UK south, British Geological Survey, Nottingham.
- Jones, N. W. and Frost, P.,1996, Clwyd Metal Mines Ground Survey 1995, Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust, Welshpool.
- Jones, N. W. and Frost, P.,1996, Powys Metal Mines Ground Survey 1994, Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust, Welshpool.
- Jope, E. M., 1952, Regional charter in West Country Medieval pottery, Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society.
- Kightly, Charles, 2001, Pobl a lleoedd Sir Ddinbych tua 230,00C.C. 0 O.C. 1700/ Denbighshire people and places C.230,00B.C. – A.D. 1700, Denbighshire County Council, Denbighshire
- King, Tony and Williams, Christopher J., 2010, Tŵr y Jiwbilî 1810-2010/ The Jubilee Tower 1810 – 2010, Cadwyn Clwyd.
- Kulik, Gary and Bonham, Julia C., 1978, Rhode Island: an inventory of historic engineering and industrial sites, U.S. Department of the Interior, Washington, DC.
- Lee, D.M., 2002, Film and sound archives in non-specialist repositories, Best Practice Guideline 6, Society of Archivists, London.
- Lloyd, David, 1976, Save the City : a conservation study of the city of London, Society for the protection of Ancient Buildings.
- Lynn-Thomas, John. Col. Sir, 1930, A “Tumulus” that is not a Tumulus. Mabinogion v. Ordnance Survey. Facts and Romance Wedded at Llwyndyrys (Reprinted from Western and South Wales News, Wednesday March 12th 1930).
- McCarthy, Dan, 2014, Dalkey Quarry tramway, 1815-c1855, Six Martlets Publishing, Clare.
- Miles, Henrietta, 1969, Excavations at Fisherwick, Staffs., 1968 – : A Romano-British Farmstead, and a Neolithic Occupation Site, Extract from Transactions 1968 – 69, Volume X.
- Ministry of Works, 1949, War and archaeology in Britain the excavation of ancient sites and the preservation of historic buildings, H.M.S.O., London.
- Murphy, K. and Ings, M., 2013, Climate change and the historic environment in Wales: a summary of potential impacts, HEG.
- Napier, J., 1851, a manual of electro-metallurgy including the applications of the art to manufacturing processes, R. Griffin and Co., London.
- Penn, V. F., 1975, Wall painting in a house in High Street, Walsall, Staffs, South Staffordshire Archaeological and Historical Society.
- R.C.H.M.E., 1991, 50 years of the National Buildings Record,1941-1991 / with an introduction by John Summerson, Trigon Press, Beckenham.
- R.C.H.M. England, 1995, Tour of National Monuments Record Centre, C.O.E. Archaeological Heritage/R.C.H.M. England.
- RCAHMW, 2005, The National Monuments Records – England, Scotland and Wales, RCAHMW, Aberystwyth.
- Rees, Siân E., 1980, Siambr gladdu Parc le Breos Gorllewin Morgannwg / Parc le Breos chambered tomb West Glamorgan, HMSO, Cardiff.
- Rutter, J. G., 1969, Industrial archaeology area 1: industrial archaeology in North-East Yorkshire list of sites area 1 Scarborough, Scarborough and District Archaeological Society, Scarborough.
- Scott-Morgan, John, 1977, The Corris Railway Company, Gemini Publishing, London.
- Severn Estuary Levels Research Committee, 2003, Archaeology in the Severn Estuary, Severn Estuary Strategy.
- Silvester, Bob, 1999, Uplands fieldwork in Clwyd and Powys 1989 – 1999 : a synthesis, Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust, Welshpool.
- Smith, Roland and Cox, Peter, 1986, The past in the pipeline: archaeology of the Esso midline, Trust for Wessex Archaeology, Salisbury.
- Thomas, Charles, 1964, Excavations on Ardwall Island, gatehouse of fleet, Kirkcudbrightshire, 1964: preliminary report, Department of Archaeology, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh.
- Thomas, Charles, 1965, Excavations on Ardwall Island, gatehouse of fleet, Kirkcudbright, 1965: second interim report, Department of Archaeology, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh.
- Turner, Rick, 2002, Chepstow Castle, Chepstow Bulwarks Camp, Runston Church, CADW, Cardiff.
- Willems, Willem J. H., 1999, Archaeology in Britain conference 1997 the future of European archaeology, Oxbow Books, Oxford.
- WMS, 2015, Mining technology: technological innovation in the extractive industries -proceedings of the NAMHO conference 2014, The Welsh Mines Society, Llanaber, Gwynedd.
- Whybrow, Charles, 1967, Some Multivallte Hill-Forts on Exmoor and in North Devon, Reprint from the Devon Archaeological Society No.25.
- Ancient Monuments Society Newsletter no. 02/2015 (Summer 2015)
- Ancient Monuments Society Transactions vol. 59 (2015)
- Antiquity vol. 89 no. 345 (June 2015)
- Archive, the Journal for British Industrial and Transport History no. 86 (June 2015)
- British Archaeology no. 143 (July-August 2015)
- BSI Update Standards (June 2015)
- C20 – the magazine of the Twentieth Century Society no. 2/2015
- Carmarthenshire Antiquary vol. 50 (2014)
- CBA Newsletter no. 34 (Summer 2015)
- Chapels Society Newsletter no. 59 (May 2015)
- Current Archaeology no. 304 (July 2015)
- The Georgian no. 1/2015
- The Georgian Group Journal vol. 23 (2015)
- Landscapes vol. 16 no. 1 (June 2015)
- Llafur vol. 11 no. 3 (2014)
- Past no. 80 (July 2015)
- Pembrokeshire Life (June 2015)
- Site Recorder no. 1586 (June 2015)
- The Victorian no. 49 (July 2015)
- Victorian Society Studies in Victorian Architecture and Design vol. 5: Pevsner and Victorian Architecture (2015) [catalogued as a book and kept in the Library]
- Welsh History Review vol. 27 no. 3 (June 2015)
Journals Current Awareness
- Ancient Monuments Society Newsletter no. 02/2015, pp. 11 & 12, Casework section: Pontypridd, Bethany Baptist Church, proposals to remove some of the pews; Swansea, Siloh Newydd Chapel, Landore, meeting to consider the future in light of dwindling congregation; p. 20, Gleanings section: Tabernacle Baptist Chapel, Talgarth, bought by Alan McGee, former manager of Oasis; proposes to use it for concerts and community events; p. 22, Miscellaneous section: new Cadw CEO and the Historic Environment (Wales) Bill; buildings, esp. chapels, under siege in Wales; 80% cut to Newport Museum and Library; the former holds important artefacts from Tintern Abbey, Blaenavon, and other sites; p. 39: Short review of our Welsh Slate book.
- Ancient Monuments Society Transactions vol. 59, p. 23: ‘Two Private Chapels, Two Painted Ceilings: Gwydir Uchaf and Staunton Herald’ by Irene Brightmer
- Carmarthenshire Antiquary vol. 50, p. 167: Review of The Western Brecon Beacons: The Archaeology of Mynydd Du and Fforest Fawr by David Leighton
- Current Archaeology no. 304, p. 47: Review of Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and Canal by Peter Wakelin
- Landscapes vol. 16 no. 1, p. 100: Review of Aerofilms: A History of Britain from Above by James Crawford, Katy Whitaker and Allan Williams
- The Victorian no. 49, p. 22: Casework: Wales and the Midlands mentions the demolition threat to the grade II listed Victoria Pier, Colwyn Bay; p. 34: ‘Top Ten most endangered’ mentions emergency repair work on Navigation Colliery, Crumlin, and gives an update on the Coal Excahnge in Cardiff.
- Welsh History Review vol. 27 no. 3, p. 417: ‘Family, Land and Inheritance in Late Medieval Wales: A Case Study of Llannerch in the Lordship of Dyffryn Clwyd’ by Llinos Beverley Smith [a former Commissioner]; p. 599: Review by our former colleague Daryl Leeworthy of Proud to be a Swan: The History of Swansea City AFC by Geraint H. Jenkins
If you have any comments or enquiries, please feel free to contact us:
NMRW Library and Enquiries Service
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales
Ceredigion SY23 3BU
Croesewir gohebiaeth yn y Gymraeg a’r Saesneg | Correspondence welcomed in Welsh and English