National Monuments Record of Wales Archives and Library Bulletin – September 2015
Welcome to the latest monthly edition of the National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW) Archives and Library Bulletin which lists all newly catalogued material.
The archival items, library books and journal articles are all available to view in our public reading room. The full archive catalogue is available on Coflein and contains digital copies of many of the items listed.
Our Library and reading room is open:
Monday – Friday 09.30 – 16.00, Wednesday 10.30 – 16.30.
An appointment is advisable.
Additional Information: C.609864
Field notes/drawings relating to Y Faner/ Ty Vanner, Cymer Abbey, Merioneth; produced by Peter Smith
Covering dates: c.1992
Aeon Archaeology Projects: Ref. No. AAP
- Digital report and photographic material relating to an archaeological assessment for Rhug Hydro scheme, Druid, Denbighshire. Report No. 0001: 2012. Ref. No. AAP/013
- Digital report with survey and photographic material relating to an archaeological evaluation for 17-19a Park Street, Denbigh, Denbighshire. Report No. 0056: Feb 2015. Ref. No. AAP/014
- Digital reports with survey and photographic material relating to an archaeological evaluation at Hendre Eirian Hydro Scheme, Barmouth. Report No. 0029: 2014-2015. Ref. No. AAP/015
- Digital reports and photographic material relating to an archaeological evaluation at Penmorfa Water Main Renewal. Project Code 0036: 2014. Ref. No. AAP/016
- Digital report and photographic material relating to a Level 2 Historic Building Record at Killins Farm, Killins Lane, Shotton. Project Code A0050: 2014. Ref. No. AAP/017
Cadw Guardianship Monument Drawings: Ref. No. CGM
- Cadw guardianship monument drawings relating to drainage at Eagle/ Well Tower, Caernarfon Castle: 1924. Ref. No. CGM23/001-003
- Cadw guardianship monument drawing, sketch plan showing principal antiquities, Caernarfon: undated. Ref. No. CGM23/004
- Cadw guardianship monument drawings relating to Caernarfon Castle and Town Wall: 1911-1974. Ref. No. CGM23/005-068
Derek Parker Clywedog Dam Collection: Ref. No. DPCD
Collection of material, produced by Derek Parker, relating to the construction of Clywedog Dam: including a report and a set of digital images copied from slides originally produced by Mr Parker.
Covering dates: 1960-1964
- Measured drawings showing ground and first floor plans of the Bryn-y-Parc, Denbigh: 2002. Ref. No. 3784.S2 – S3
- Reconstruction drawing showing 13-15 Vale Street, Denbigh, as a hall house with cross wing: 2013. Ref. No. 3823.S1
- Measured drawing showing plan of Siop Clwyd, Denbigh: 2013. Ref. No. 3824.S1
- Measured drawings showing plans of Plas Machynleth restored to circa 1765 based on architects plans: 1994.Ref. No. 3825.S1
- Preliminary perspective drawings relating to Neuadd Cynhinfa, Llangyniew: c.1992. Ref. No. 3648.S9-S10
- Cutaway reconstruction drawing of Stone House Farm: 2002. Ref. No. 3820.S2
- Measured drawings showing plans and detail at Supercards, Great Darkgate Street, Aberystwyth: 1987.Ref. No. 3826.S1-S3
Emergency Recording Collection: Ref. No. ERC2015_005
Digital records comprising plans and statements for developments at Llanishen Reservoir Dam, Glamorgan.
Covering dates: 2011
General Digital Donations Collection
Aerial photograph showing Pant Waungorrwg Barrow, taken by Paul Davis: 3rd July 2015. Ref. No. DD2015_009_093
Aerial photograph showing Mynydd Eglwysilan Dyke, taken by Paul Davis: 15th July 2015. Ref. No. DD2015_009_094-095
Aerial photograph showing Garth Hill Barrows IV and V, taken by Paul Davis: 19th July 2015. Ref. No. DD2015_009_096-097
Aerial photograph showing the hillfort and pillow mounds at Twyn y Gaer taken by Paul Davis: 23rd May 2015. Ref. No. DD2015_009_098 – 099
Investigators Digital Photography
Digital photographs of Pen-Y-Graig, Denbighshire: 2015. Ref. No. DS2015_177
- Digital photographs of Llwydcoed Farm, Montgomeryshire: 2015. Ref. No. DS2015_178
- Digital photographs of Hay Castle: 2015. Ref. No. DS2015_179
- Digital photographs of Croes-Wen Farmhouse, Monmouthshire: 2015. Ref. No. DS2015_180
- Digital photographs of Hendre Stable, Llwyngwril, Merioneth: 2015. Ref. No. DS2015_181
- Digital photographs of a Clom building near Cemmaes Farm, Caernarfonshire: 2015. Ref. No. DS2015_182
Martin Davies Roman Roads Archive: Ref. No. MDRR
Material collected, or produced, by Martin Davies relating to Roman Roads in Wales.
Covering dates: 2000-2015
Michael Lewis Clywedog Dam Album: Ref. No. MLCD
Scanned copy of a photo album containing photographs (with annotations), taken during the construction of Clywedog Dam by Michael Lewis, Consultant and Design Engineer, Halcrow.
Covering dates: 1964-1967
National Monument Record Site Files
- Photographs relating to Swansea Canal, Morfa Copperworks, and Morfa Silver Works: 1968.Ref. C.610000 – C.610005
- Photographs relating to Hafod Copperworks Tramway Viaduct: 1977-1980. Ref. C. 610008 – C.610011
- Photographs relating to bridges, and the Landore Viaduct, Swansea Canal: 1968. Ref. C. 610014 – C.610017, C.610033, C.610038
- Copy of an illustration of the Hafod Copperworks as it may have looked in 1889, with Swansea Canal in foreground: undated. Ref. C.610018
- Detail drawings showing timber features at 18-22 Great Darkgate Street: 1987. Ref. C.610416
- Two prints of Blackpill Bridge and Oystermouth Tramroad: showing a horse drawn carriage on the Oystermouth tramroad, and crossing the bridge: c.1825.Ref. C.609905
- Black and white prints relating to various bridges on the Swansea Canal: c.1921-1980. Ref. C.609914, C.609925, C.610022 – C.610025, C.609965 – C.609969, C.610000 – C.610001
- Black and white photographs relating to Cwm Pit Colliery site, Landore, view from from the newly reclaimed Pentre Pit site in 1980, showing Morris Castle on the hill: 1980. Ref. C.609928
- Black and white photographs relating to Pont-y-Shoot, Morriston: views of western and eastern primary abutments and south elevation and Nant Gelli arch: c.1978. Ref. C.609931
- Material relating to Hafod Works, Limekiln, and Railway, Landore: 1969-1975. Ref. C.609932, C.609963 – C.609964
- Material relating to Swansea Canal: 1978-1979.Ref. C.609936, C.609939, C.609943, C.609945
- Two illustrations relating to Landore Viaduct, showing activity around the viaduct and Swansea canal, probably at the opening of the viaduct in 1850: 1980-1987. Ref. C.610020 – C.610021
- Composite image (comprising six images) showing panoramic view to the east of part of Swansea, from Town Hill: c.1980-1985. Ref. C.609970
- Eight small black and white prints showing elevations of Clydach warehouse, Swansea Canal: c.1978.Ref. C.609971
- Two black and white prints relating to Morfa Copperworks and Dock, Swansea Canal: c.1968-1985.Ref. C.609983
- Photographs relating to Morfa Copperworks’ railway bridge: c.1968 – C.609989, C.609991. Ref. C.609992
RCAHMW General Scanned Image Collection: Ref. No. RGS2015_03
Digital copy of an original pencil drawing by Penry Williams, showing the church of St. Mary at Ystradfellte
Covering dates: undated
RCAHMW Radnorshire Farmsteads Publication Collection: Ref. No. RCRF09
Field notes and drawings relating to Radnorshire Farmsteads; produced by RCAHMW
Covering dates: 1970-2000
Vernon Hughes Collection: Ref No. VHC
- Measured drawings produced or collected by Vernon Hughes over a number of years including his time as a student: 1945-1990. Ref. No. VHC07
- Miscellaneous records on various themes, produced or collected by Vernon Hughes over a number of years including his time as a student: 1945-1990. Ref. No. VHC08
- Assorted published views of Welsh interest, collected by Vernon Hughes, including Buck prints: undated. Ref. No. VHC09
Adams, Philip, 2015, Not in our name: war dissent in a Welsh town, Philip Adams, Ludlow.
Barnes, B., 1982, Man and the Changing Landscape: a Study of Occupation and Palaeo Environment in the Central Pennines, Merseyside County Council et al., Liverpool.
Brereton, J. M., 1990, The Brecon Beacons National Park, David & Charles, Newton Abbot.
Brown, Ian, 2004, Discovering a Welsh landscape : archaeology in the Clwydian range, Windgather, Macclesfield.
Calvocoressi, R. 1978 Marine Painting; 84 Illustrations, Phaidon, London.
Denman, D. R., Roberts, R. A., Smith, H. J. F., 1967, Commons and village greens: a study in land use, conservation and management based on a national survey of commons in England and Wales, 1961-1966, Leonard Hill, London.
Hawkes, J., 1973, A guide to the prehistoric and Roman monuments in England and Wales, revised edition, Book Club Associates, London.
Le Gros Clark, Wilfred, E., 1972, The fossil evidence for human evolution: an introduction to the study of palaeoanthropology, 2nd edition, University of Chicago Press.
Mann, J. C., 1971, The Northern Frontier in Britain from Hadrian to Honorius: Literary and Epigraphic Sources, Museum of Antiquities, Newcastle upon Tyne.
Monkhouse, F. J., & Wilkinson, H. R., 1966 Maps and diagrams; their compilation and construction, 2nd edition, Methuen, London.
Ponting, G. & M., 1978, The standing stones of Callanish, Gerald and Margaret Ponting, Callanish.
Rees, S., 1981 Ancient agricultural implements, Shire, Aylesbury.
Scottish Archaeological Forum 4, (1972) – issue devoted to Scottish ring cairns.
Strategy, Research and Action Ltd, 1995, National Monuments Record : Archaeological and Historical Information : Final Report, Strategy, Research and Action Ltd.
Archive: The Quarterly Journal for British Industrial and Transport History no. 87 (September 2015)
BSI Update Standards (September 2015)
Capel Newsletter no. 66 (Autumn 2015)
Current Archaeology no. 307 (October 2015)
Flintshire Historical Society Journal vol. 40 (2015)
The Historic Environment Policy and Practice, vol. 1 no. 2 and vol. 2 nos. 1 & 2 (2010 and 2011) [no subscription, these 3 issues found recently in addition to one already held]
Maplines no. 23 (Summer 2015)
Pembrokeshire Life (September 2015)
Twentieth Century Architecture vol. 12 (2015) [Houses: Regional Practice and Local Character]
Journals Current Awareness
Current Archaeology no. 307, p.4 ff. (Letters section): ‘Flowering families’ referring to article on Snowdonia’s historic houses in CA 303, and describing a wall-painting of a married couple in Althrey Hall, Bangor-on-Dee; ‘Writing the past’, commenting on Chris Catling’s article in CA 306 on Welsh slate industry; p. 10: ‘Holt Castle [Denbighshire] restored to royal glory’ [about a digital reconstruction of the castle undertaken by the Castle Studies Trust]; p. 26: ‘Full circle? Ten new facts about Stonehenge’ by Chris Catling; p. 48 (Sherds section) – Chris Catling on the heritage of public conveniences, queer histories, stinkpipes, and hauntings in a planning context.
If you have any comments or enquiries, please feel free to contact us:
NMRW Library and Enquiries Service
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales
Ceredigion SY23 3BU
Telephone: +44 (0)1970 621200
Fax: +44 (0)1970 627701