CBHC / RCAHMW > News > Royal Commission Archive Bulletin of Newly Catalogued Material – April 2024

Royal Commission Archive Bulletin of Newly Catalogued Material – April 2024

Welcome to the latest monthly edition of the National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW) Archives Bulletin which lists all newly catalogued material.

The archival items, as well as library books and journal articles, are all available to view in our public reading room. The full archive catalogue is available on Coflein and contains digital copies of many of the items listed. All publications may be found on our online Library Catalogue.

Our Library and reading room is open:

We will now be open every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 9:30 until 16:30. We will no longer be open to the public on Mondays, although we will have slightly longer opening hours on the days when we are open.  The Library and Search Room will still be available for group visits, quiet sessions and virtual consultations on Mondays and Fridays. 

Archif ~ Archives

Archive items have been added to the following collections in the past month:

Many of these items are hard copy, including large scale plans, photographs and reports, and are available to view in our searchroom in Aberystwyth; others are digital and can be viewed on our online catalogue Coflein.

Now catalogued and available on Coflein:

Above: photograph and drawing relating to Byrllysg Bach, Dyffryn Ardudwy, ref: DD2024_008_05, and volunteers surveying at Llam Maria, Llanbedr, ref: DD2024_008_17

A collection of research notes, photographical surveys and archives have been catalogued this month relating to farmstead ruins in the Ardudwy area, created or collected between November 2020 and November 2023, by project staff and volunteers as part of the ‘Lost Farmsteads’ Harlech and Ardudwy Cultural Heritage Project.

The aim of the project was to record and celebrate the built heritage and landscape features of Ardudwy, including extant and lost buildings, field names, place names and traditions ‘enriching our understanding of farmsteads and the lives of people who have lived and farmed in the area over recent centuries’.

Read more on the project’s webpage here, and see the catalogued items from the project on on Coflein here.

Photograph taken and donated by Sally Carter showing the Thalidomide Memorial, Alexandra Gardens, Cardiff. Ref: DD2024_006

This permanent stone memorial to those affected by the Thalidomide drug scandal was unveiled on 30th June 2016, after a long campaign by Cardiff born writer and artist Rosaleen Moriarty-Simmonds OBE, her husband Stephen and friend Eddie Freeman (all three being Thalidomide-impaired), to site the memorial in Alexandra Gardens, Cathays Park, Cardiff.  It was unveiled on 30th June 2016, Thalidomide Memorial Day.

The Thalidomide Memorial has a website here. You can find our site record on Coflein here.

Digital photograph showing utility room – part of a photographic building recording of Craig y Don, Menai Bridge, dated 23/05/2023. Carried out as part of planning conditions (Listed Building Consent).
Photograph showing interior of Ysgol Glanadda, Bangor (hall), dated 26/10/2023. Carried out as part of a photographic building recording of under planning conditions.
Photograph showing chapel interior from a level 3 Historic Building Recording for Rhiw Chapel, carried out as a condition of Listed Building Consent in March 2024.

We archived several photographic surveys that had been carried out as a condition of planning prior to renovation or demolition of the buildings. These surveys are held within the public domain for future reference and research, as a permanent record of the building. Some buildings recorded in this way, although in a poor state of repair, retain features which give insights into their former glories (and uses).

The first survey is of Craig-y-Don, Menai Bridge, a small country house of multiple periods from the 18th century. Other images from the survey show a billiard room, grand staircases, wood panelling and fireplaces.

The second survey shows Ysgol Glanadda, Bangor before demolition. A red brick building with six classrooms and a central hall, the school was opened in 1900, it was originally built for the children of railway workers following the opening of Bangor station in 1848. The school closed in 2020 and was demolished in 2023. The children’s artwork can still be seen on the walls of the hall and classrooms.

The final image shows the interior of Bethel or Rhiw Chapel, Llanarmon-Yn-Ial, a Welsh Calvinistic Methodist chapel originating in 1786 with the present building dated 1867. It is now Grade 2 Listed as a ‘handsome’ nineteenth century stone chapel. Photographed before conversion to a dwelling, the survey includes images of the interior features such as the blue and cream coffered ceiling with 2 roses and 2 ovals in the centre band.

Blast from the Past

Each month we will show an earlier image taken from our archive relating to one of the sites above. The image below is a photograph showing front elevation and entrance of Bethel Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Rhiw Ial, Llanarmon-yr-Ial, near Mold. Photographed in August 2018. (ref: 6025319).

Contact us

If you have any comments or enquiries, please feel free to contact us:

NMRW Library and Enquiries Service
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales
Penglais Road
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion SY23 3BU

Telephone: +44 (0)1970 621200
Email: nmr.wales@rcahmw.gov.uk
Website: rcahmw.gov.uk

Croesewir gohebiaeth yn y Gymraeg a’r Saesneg | Correspondence welcomed in Welsh and English

12/06/2024

Subscribe
Notify of
guest

Security code *Time limit exceeded. Please complete the captcha once again.

0 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

STAY UP TO DATE WITH HERITAGE NEWS IN WALES

Join the e-mailing list to receive regular updates.. It's free!

Latest tweets

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x