CBHC / RCAHMW > News > Royal Commission Archive & Library Bulletin of Newly Catalogued Material – April 2023
Photograph showing detail of the chancel ceiling at St Peter's Church, Penrhosgarnedd, Bangor, part of a survey conducted in 2019.

Royal Commission Archive & Library Bulletin of Newly Catalogued Material – April 2023

Welcome to the latest monthly edition of the National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW) Archives and Library Bulletin which lists all newly catalogued material. The archival items, library books and journal articles are all available to view in our public reading room. The full archive catalogue is available on Coflein and contains digital copies of many of the items listed. All publications may be found on our online Library Catalogue.

Our Library and reading room is open:
We are open Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 9:30 – 16:00, Wednesday 10:30-16:30
An appointment is advisable.

Archives

Archive items have been added to the following collections in the past month:

Many of these items are hard copy, including large scale plans, photographs and reports, and are available to view in our searchroom in Aberystwyth; others are digital and can be viewed on our online catalogue Coflein.

Now catalogued and available on Coflein:

Oblique aerial photograph of Parc-newydd farmstead, Moel Smytho, taken during the Royal Commission ’s programme of archaeological aerial reconnaissance by Toby Driver in 2022. Reference: AP2023_066_003
Oblique aerial photograph of Parc-newydd farmstead, Moel Smytho, taken during the Royal Commission ’s programme of archaeological aerial reconnaissance by Toby Driver in 2022. Reference: AP2023_066_003.

The cottage and its associated field system forms a clear and well-preserved example of an encroachment on the moorland typical of this area at the end of the 18th century and early 19th century.

See more in our site record here: https://coflein.gov.uk/en/site/402689

Photograph showing the remains of the tramway linking the main source of ore to the processing work at Cefn Coch  gold mine which was in operation between 1862 and 1914. Photograph taken 2002 and donated by John Latham with a collection of other photographs taken by him between 1980-2002. Reference: DD2023_005
Photograph showing the remains of the tramway linking the main source of ore to the processing work at Cefn Coch gold mine which was in operation between 1862 and 1914. Photograph taken 2002 and donated by John Latham with a collection of other photographs taken by him between 1980-2002. Reference: DD2023_005.

See more in our site record here: https://coflein.gov.uk/en/site/416293

Photograph showing some of the posters in the basement student bar of Pantycelyn hall of residence, part of a survey of the basement conducted in 2019. The basement bar was closed in the late 1980s and the preserved posters are a rare snapshot of the music, events and political movements of the time.
Photograph showing some of the posters in the basement student bar of Pantycelyn hall of residence, part of a survey of the basement conducted in 2019. The basement bar was closed in the late 1980s and the preserved posters are a rare snapshot of the music, events and political movements of the time.

Pantycelyn served notably as the University’s Welsh-medium hall of residence from 1974 and has hosted several important figures including Prince Charles when he was a student in 1969 and the historian John Davies (1938-2015), who served as its warden for eighteen years from 1974-1992. The hall was threatened with closure several times in the 2010s and was closed in September 2015. Following student protests, Aberystwyth University began a £12m renovation of Pantycelyn Hall in late 2017.

Reference: DS2023_433 See more in our site record here: https://coflein.gov.uk/en/site/403952

Photograph showing pulpit, sedd fawr, and organ at Capel Moreia, Llangefni, part of a survey conducted in 2023
Photograph showing pulpit, sedd fawr, and organ at Capel Moreia, Llangefni, part of a survey conducted in 2023.

Moreia Calvinistic Methodist Chapel is one of the most ambitious and successful of Anglesey chapels. It was built between 1896-8, to replace the one founded in 1794 by John Elias, the Welsh Methodist Revival preacher, who lived in the town between 1830 and 1841 (it’s other name is ‘Capel Coffa John Elias’). The elaborate sedd-fawr and pulpit are on many levels, and the large organ, by Wadsworth of Manchester, was installed in 1928.

Reference: DS2023_397_024 See more in our site record here: https://coflein.gov.uk/en/site/8783

Photograph showing the remains of the wreck seen close to low water mark on the Warren beach, Abersoch, looking northeast across the vessel, with bow in the foreground (with scale). Thought to be the MARIA, although the exact identity is unconfirmed, the visible remains of the ship were recorded on the 23rd February 2023 as part of the CHERISH Project. Reference: DS2023_103_002
Photograph showing the remains of the wreck seen close to low water mark on the Warren beach, Abersoch, looking northeast across the vessel, with bow in the foreground (with scale). Thought to be the MARIA, although the exact identity is unconfirmed, the visible remains of the ship were recorded on the 23rd February 2023 as part of the CHERISH Project. Reference: DS2023_103_002.

The results of the survey are viewable here:

Cymraeg: https://skfb.ly/oEQLY
English: https://skfb.ly/oEAyG

Wattstown Hotel: photograph received in the course of Emergency Recording in 2012. The Watttown Hotel was built c.1900 to serve the community of Wattstown which developed round the National Colliery sunk in 1881. It is grade II listed as a scarce example of a mainly unaltered colliery hotel of simple but generously proportioned design. Interior features include black marble fireplaces, shutters, moulded door surrounds, dado rails and ceiling mouldings.
Wattstown Hotel: photograph received in the course of Emergency Recording in 2012. The Watttown Hotel was built c.1900 to serve the community of Wattstown which developed round the National Colliery sunk in 1881. It is grade II listed as a scarce example of a mainly unaltered colliery hotel of simple but generously proportioned design. Interior features include black marble fireplaces, shutters, moulded door surrounds, dado rails and ceiling mouldings.

Reference: ERC2023_001_122_002

See more in our site record here: https://coflein.gov.uk/en/site/417466

Photograph showing detail of the chancel ceiling at St Peter's Church, Penrhosgarnedd, Bangor, part of a survey conducted in 2019.
Photograph showing detail of the chancel ceiling at St Peter’s Church, Penrhosgarnedd, Bangor, part of a survey conducted in 2019.

St Peter’s was built in 1956 to designs of P.M.Padmore in a severe lancet style and displays the influences of the architect Herbert North.

Reference: DS2022_057_033

See more in our site record here: https://coflein.gov.uk/en/site/411861

Contact us

If you have any comments or enquiries, please feel free to contact us:

NMRW Library and Enquiries Service
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales
Penglais Road
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion SY23 3BU

Telephone: +44 (0)1970 621200
Email: nmr.wales@rcahmw.gov.uk
Website: rcahmw.gov.uk

Croesewir gohebiaeth yn y Gymraeg a’r Saesneg | Correspondence welcomed in Welsh and English

06/06/2023

Subscribe
Notify of
guest

Security code *Time limit exceeded. Please complete the captcha once again.

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

STAY UP TO DATE WITH HERITAGE NEWS IN WALES

Join the e-mailing list to receive regular updates.. It's free!

Latest tweets

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x