Royal Commission Archive & Library Bulletin of Newly Catalogued Material – August 2019
Welcome to the latest monthly edition of the National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW) Archives and Library Bulletin which lists all newly catalogued material. The archival items, library books and journal articles are all available to view in our public reading room. The full archive catalogue is available on Coflein and contains digital copies of many of the items listed. All publications may be found on our online Library Catalogue.
Our Library and reading room is open:
Monday – Friday 09.30 – 16.00,
Wednesday 10.30 – 16.30.
An appointment is advisable.
Archaeological Reports/Evaluations (non Trust)
Archaeological reports relating to:
- Slate Wreck Pwll Fanogl site, Menai Strait, Anglesey, 2019: Ref. AENT42_18
Archaeology Wales Project Archives
Project archives relating to:
- Atlantic Trading Estate, Barry, 2015-2017: Ref. AWP_304
- Tabernacl Church and Town Wall, Pembroke, 2015: Ref. AWP_305
- Llanelly House, Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, 2014: Ref. AWP_306
- Llanuwchllyn to Glan-llyn Cycle Path, Bala, 2015: Ref. AWP_307
- Holyhead Waterfront, 2010: Ref. AWP_308
- Welsh Battlefield Metal Detector Survey, 2012-2014: Ref. AWP_309
- Glan Afan School, Port Talbot, 2017: Ref. AWP_310
- Heol Pentre Bach, Gorseinon, 2017: Ref. AWP_311
- Gupton Farm, Freshwater West, Pembrokeshire, 2015: Ref. AWP_312
- Upper House Farm, Painscastle, Powys, 2014: Ref. AWP_313
- Green Park, Port Talbot, 2017: Ref. AWP_314
- Nantcribbau Farm, Forden, Powys, 2013: Ref. AWP_315
- Land South of School Lane, Penperlleni, 2013-2014: Ref. AWP_316
- Maes Mynan Quarry, Caerwys, 2017: Ref. AWP_317
- Proposed Eisteddfod Site at Castle Meadows and Llanfoist, Abergavenny, 2014: Ref. AWP_318
- Land at Ffordd Eglwys Wen, Denbigh, 2016: Ref. AWP_319
- Gwndwn Mawr, Station Road, Bynea, Carmarthenshire, 2014: Ref. AWP_320
- Redcourt Farm, Llysonnen Road, Carmarthen, 2014: Ref. AWP_321
- 54 High Street, Crickhowell, 2017: Ref. AWP_322
- Oak Grove Farm, Crick, Monmouthshire, 2015: Ref. AWP_323
- Maes y Meillion, Leeswood, 2017: Ref. AWP_324
- Portlands Ground, Magor, Monmouthshire, 2016: Ref. APW_325
- Land at Penhesgyn, Anglesey, 2017: Ref. AWP_326
- Land at Llethrach Newydd, Llysonnen Road, Bancyfelin, Carmarthenshire, 2015: Ref. AWP_327
- Springmeadow House, Michaeolston-Super-Ely, Cardiff, 2016: Ref. AWP_328
- The Bridge Inn, Chepstow, 2015: Ref. AWP_329
- Caerlicyn Lane, Langstone, Newport, 2016: Ref. AWP_330
- Trinity View, Caerleon, 2017: Ref. AWP_331
- Heol Pentre Bach, Gorseinon, 2015-2017: Ref. AWP_332
- Land adjacent to 9 Elliston Terrace, Carmarthen, 2017: Ref: AWP_333
- Plot D7a, Langdon Road, Swansea, 2018: Ref. AWP_334
- Proposed hydro scheme, Afon Croesor, Brondanw Estate, Gwynedd, 2015-2018: Ref: AWP_335
- Coed Parc, Newcastle, Bridgend, 2016: Ref. AWP_336
- 4 Orchard Court, Bridge Street, Crickhowell, 2017: Ref. AWP_337
- Abercamlais House, Brecon, 2018: Ref. AWP_338
- Commercial Street, Newport, Gwent, 2018: Ref. AWP_339
- Llanidloes Medical Practice, 2018: Ref. AWP_340
- Whitewell Holiday Park, Lydstep, 2018: Ref. AWP_341
- Old Furnace Cottage, Tintern, 2018: Ref. AWP_342
- Caer Brynderwen, 2017: Ref. AWP_343
- Tudno Castle Hotel, Vaughan Street, Llandudno, 2017: Ref. AWP_344
- Former Llantarnam Community Primary School, Croeswen, Oakfield, Cwmbran, 2017: Ref. AWP_345
- MV King Edgar and SS Damao – Historic Wreck Sites, 2013: Ref. AWP_346
- Pont ar Daf, Storey Arms, Brecon, Powys, 2017: Ref. AWP_347
- Parc Cybi Enterprise Zone, Holyhead, 2017: Ref. AWP_348
- Hensol Castle and adjacent parcels, Hensol, Pendeulwyn, Vale of Glamorgan, 2017: Ref. AWP_349
- Aberdare School for Girls, Cwmbach Road, Aber-nant, Aberdare, 2018: Ref. AWP_350
- Afon Claerwen, Elan Valley, Rhayader, 2018: Ref.AWP_351
Bristol and Region Archaeological Services Survey Archives
Project archives relating to:
- Walled Garden of Drybridge House, Monmouth, 2000: Ref. BRAS010
- Land at The Cattle Market, Monnow Street, Monmouth, Monmouthshire, 2005: Ref. BRAS018
- Lower Dock Street, Pillgwenlly, Newport, Gwent, 2006: Ref. BRAS019
- Land off Heol y Mynydd, Gorseinon, Swansea, 2010: Ref. BRAS022
- Dewstow Primary School, Green Lane, Caldicot, Monmouthshire, 2012: Ref. BRAS023
- Llynfi Vale Iron Works, Llynfi Road, Maesteg, 1998: Ref. BRAS024
- Monmouth School, Glendower Street, Monmouth, Gwent, 2003-2004: Ref. BRAS025
- The Cattle Market, Monnow Street, Monmouth, 2009: Ref. BRAS026
- Land at Coleg Gwent, The Rhadyr, Llanbadoc, Monmouthshire, 2009-2012: Ref. BRAS027
- Meadow View, Caerwent Gardens, Caerwent, Monmouthshire, 2007: Ref. BRAS028
- Lawrence Crescent, Caerwent, Monmouthshire, 2003: Ref. BRAS029
- Tesco Store Site, Pontymister Industrial Estate, Risca, c. 2010: Ref. BRAS030
- Plas Derwen Public House and Hotel, south of Abergavenny Estate, c. 2008: Ref. BRAS031
- Castle Park Primary School, Church Road, Caldicot, c. 2011: Ref. BRAS032
Cadw Monuments in Care Collection
- Photographic material relating to various sites in Wales, 1870-2008: Ref. CMC/PA
Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust Project Archives
Project archives relating to:
- Preliminary survey of vessel wreck at Pensarn Beach, Abergele, 2019: Ref. CPATP_053
Corpus of Early Medieval Inscribed Stones Publication Collection
Illustrations of inscribed stone at:
- Eglwys Gymun, produced for the volume ‘A Corpus of Early Medieval Inscribed Stones and Stone Sculpture in Wales, Volume II: South-West Wales’, 1999: Ref. CEMS/2/02/CM7
- Bridell, produced for the volume ‘A Corpus of Early Medieval Inscribed Stones and Stone Sculpture in Wales, Volume II: South-West Wales’,1999: Ref. CEMS/2/02/P5
D.B. Hague Slide Collection
- Colour slides relating to various bridges in Wales, 1965-1979: Ref. DBHC/18
Flintshire County Council Collection
- Colour photographic survey of ‘3 Bod Hyfryd, Flint. Outbuilding now demolished’, 1998: Ref. FCCC/04/12
H. Collin Bowen Collection: Ref. HCBC
Research papers, produced by H. Collin Bowen, relating mainly to the sunken forest at Wiseman’s Bridge
Covering dates: 1946-1968
Investigators’ Digital Photography
Oblique aerial photographs relating to:
Llanrwst, 2019: Ref. DS2019_042
London, Midland & Scottish Railway Collection: Ref. LMS
Glass plate negative showing various Welsh landscape views, taken by London, Midland & Scottish Railway
Covering dates: 1913-1926
NMR Site Files
Photographic surveys relating to:
- St. Mary’s Church, Haverfordwest, 2005: C.665948
- Dale Airfield, 2005: C.666063
- Gwastad Gwrda, Nantcwnlle, 2005: C.666105
- Cefn Caer, Pennal, 1997-1998: C.666148
Ordnance Survey Vertical Aerial Photography Collection: Ref. C.641133
Digitised copies of 20” B&W aerial photography, taken by the Ordnance Survey
Covering dates: 1963-2009
Raymond W. J. Davies Collection: Ref. RWJD
Photographs and notes relating to antiquarian sites in Wales, produced by Raymond W.J. Davies in the 1970’s
Covering dates: 1970-2000
RCAHMW Colour Oblique Digital Aerial Photographs
Colour, oblique, digital aerial images relating to various sites in Wales: Ref. AP2019_785-AP2019_936
Covering dates: 2013-2015
RCAHMW Digitised Records
Digitised copies of material contained within the NMRW archive: Ref. DI2019_001 – DI2019_005
Covering dates: [various]
Wessex Archaeology Project Archives
Project archives relating to:
- Lidl Supermarket, Ffordd Parc Ynysderw, Pontardawe, 2016: Ref. WAP/14
- Brechfa Forest West Wind Farm, Pontardawe, 2016: Ref. WAP/15
- Glyn Derw High School, Cardiff, 2017: Ref. WAP/16
- Bryn Cynau Isaf, Cwmffrwd, Carmarthenshire, 2017: Ref. WAP/17
- Black Rock Road, Portskewett, Monmouthshire, 2018: Ref. WAP/18
All our books and journals can be found on the Royal Commission’s Library Catalogue and viewed in our Library and Search Room.
- Houseman, Mary, 2019. The Wiston Book. Narberth: Llan Aidan Press.
- Howell, David (ed.), 2019. Pembrokeshire County History. Volume V, An Historical Atlas of Pembrokeshire. Wales: Pembrokeshire Historical Trust.
Offprints from the Vernacular Architecture Group Library
- Atkinson, Frank. 1960. Dives House Barn at Dalton, Near Huddersfield, offprint from Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, Number 158, pp. 192-196. Leeds: Yorkshire Archaeological Society.
- Atkinson, Frank; Ward, Anne. 1964. A Pair of “Clog” Wheels from Northern England (of the early 19th century), offprint from Transactions of the Yorkshire Dialect Society, Part 44, Volume 11, pp. 33-40. York: Yorkshire Dialect Society.
- Colman, Sylvia. 1971. The Hearth Tax Returns for the Hundred of Blackbourne, 1662, offprint from The Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology, volume 32(2), pp. 168-192. Ipswich: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology.
- Hutton, Barbara. 1984. The Old Vicarage Church Fenton, offprint from Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, Volume 56, pp. 75-86. Leeds: Yorkshire Archaeological Society.
- Hutton, Kenneth. 1974. Cheesecake Hall, Oulton, West Riding, offprint from Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, Volume 46, pp. 82-86. Leeds: Yorkshire Archaeological Society.
- Pacey, A.J. 1964. Norland Upper Hall, offprint from Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, Volume 41, pp. 307-310. Leeds: Yorkshire Archaeological Society.
- Perry, R.C. 1976. An Introduction to the Houses of Pembrokeshire, off-print from Transactions of the Woolhope Naturalists’ Club, Volume 42(1), pp. 6-15. Leominster: Orphans Press Ltd.
- Tonkin, J.W. 1974. The Nunnery of Limebrook and its Property, offprint from Transactions of the Woolhope Naturalists’ Club, pp. 149-164. Leominster: Orphans Press Ltd.
- Tonkin, J.W. 1976. The Palaces of the Bishop of Hereford, off-print from Transactions of the Woolhope Naturalists’ Club, Volume 42(1), pp. 53-64. Leominster: Orphans Press Ltd.
- Architect’s Journal Volume 246 (Part 13, 11/07/2019; Part 14, 25/07/2019; Part 15, 08/08/2019 & Part 16, 22/08/2019).
- Architect’s Journal Specification July (2019).
- British Archaeology Volume 168 (September/October 2019).
- Cambrian Medieval Celtic Studies Volume 077 (Summer 2019).
- CHERISH News Volume 4 (July 2019).
- Community Archaeology & Heritage Journal Volume 6 (Number 3, August 2019).
- Current Archaeology Volume 354 (September 2019).
- Current World Archaeology Volume 96 (August/September 2019).
- Landscapes Volume 19 (Number 1, July 2018).
- Maplines: The magazine of the British Cartographic Society Volume 35 (Part 2, Summer 2019).
- Montgomeryshire Collections Volume 107 (2019).
- Panel for Historical Engineering Works Newsletter Volume 161 (2019).
- Past: The Newsletter of the Prehistoric Society Volume 92 (Summer 2019).
- PenCambria Volume 41 (Summer 2019).
- Railway Magazine Volume 94 (Number 0573 1948) to Volume 161 (Number 1377 2015).
- Sea Breezes Volume 2 to Volume 24 (1920 to 1939).
- Sheetlines: The journal of the Charles Close Society Volume 115 (August: 2019).
- Tools and Trades History Society Newsletter Volume 143 (Trinity 2019).
- Vernacular Architecture Group Newsletter Volume 76 & 77 (January & July 2019).
Journals: Current Awareness
- Architect’s Journal Volume 246 (Part 13, 11/07/2019) p. 21 review of the end-of-year show at the Welsh School of Architecture. P.40 Focus on the work of two Welsh School of Architecture students.
- British Archaeology Volume 168 (September/October 2019) p. 57-59 Casefiles, Hope Parish Church, Flintshire, Cyllene Griffiths – the conservation of the wall paintings has led to the deciphering of the text.
- Current Archaeology Volume 354 (September 2019) p. 64-65 Sherds, Chris Catling,discusses the listing of the Big Apple Kiosk, Mumbles and the possible listing of Capel Celyn Memorial Chapel, Llandderfel which commemorates the loss of the village Capel Celyn which was flooded to create a reservoir to supply water for Liverpool.
- PenCambria Volume 41 (Summer 2019) p. 40-41 The King’s Rent Hole: a Radnorshire Folk-tradition, Adam Coward (RCAHMW) and p. 41-42 Paviland Cave and the Ice Age Hunters, David Leighton (RCAHMW).
- Sheetlines: The Journal of the Charles Close Society Volume 115 (August: 2019) p. 23-25 Cardiff: Revision for Defence – and attack! Chris Hegley.
If you have any comments or enquiries, please feel free to contact us:
NMRW Library and Enquiries Service
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales
Ceredigion SY23 3BU
Telephone: +44 (0)1970 621200
Fax: +44 (0)1970 627701
Croesewir gohebiaeth yn y Gymraeg a’r Saesneg | Correspondence welcomed in Welsh and English