Royal Commission Archive & Library Bulletin of Newly Catalogued Material – December 2016
Welcome to the latest monthly edition of the National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW) Archives and Library Bulletin which lists all newly catalogued material. The archival items, library books and journal articles are all available to view in our public reading room. The full archive catalogue is available on Coflein and contains digital copies of many of the items listed.
Our Library and reading room is open:
Monday – Friday 09.30 – 16.00,
Wednesday 10.30 – 16.30.
An appointment is advisable.
Library and Enquiry Service Closure Week – 16–20 January 2017
The library and search room will be closed and the enquiry service suspended from Monday 16 January until Friday 20 January 2017. Enquiries and orders received during this period will not be acknowledged or dealt with until we reopen on Monday 23 January 2017. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
Archaeological Reports/Evaluations (non Trust): Ref. No. AENT40_16
Small project archive relating to an archaeological watching brief at Upper Pant-ysgawen Farm, Glamorgan; undertaken by Wardell Armstrong Archaeology.
Covering dates: 2015-2016
Investigators’ Digital Photography: Ref. No. DS2016
Digital photographic surveys relating to:
- Aber Twn Landing Place, 2016: NPRN 525513
- Baptist Chapel, Church Road, Ruthin, 2016: NPRN 97298
- Bethania Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Ruthin: NPRN 7881
- Bethany Chapel, Port Talbot: NPRN 9856
- Cefn Sychbant Burnt Mound 1, 2011: NPRN 84689
- Craig Derlwyn Hut Circle, 2012: NPRN 84171
- Cwar Michael Limeworkings, 2012: NPRN 84104
- Dinas Mawr Promontory Fort, Llanwnda, 2016: NPRN 305289
- Disgylfa Field System, 2009: NPRN 421866
- Dorwen Ar Giedd Cultivation area Boundary, 2010: NPRN 411954
- Dyffryn Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Tai-Bach, 2016: NPRN 9860
- Gwaun Cefnygarreg Field Boundary, 2008: NPRN 421855
- Llynau’r Waun Longhut, 2012: NPRN 84571
- Mynydd-y-Glog North West Cairn, 2011: NPRN 84498
- Mynydd-y-Glog Summit Cairn 3, 2011: NPRN 301693
- Mynydd-y-Glog Summit Cairn 4, 2011: NPRN 84499
- Mynydd-y-Glog West Cairn, 2011: NPRN 301694
- Nant Cilyfforch Sheepfold 1, 2009: NPRN 421861
- Nant Gaseg Hut Circle, 2008: NPRN 408217
- Nant Melyn Long Hut 2, 2008: NPRN 408386
- Nant Pennig House 1 Remains, 2008: NPRN 408234
- Nant Pennig House 2 Remains, 2008: NPRN 408235
- Nant Pennig Long Hut 3, 2008: NPRN 408236
- Nant Pennig Long Hut 4, 2008: NPRN 408237
- Nant Pennig Long Hut 6, 2008: NPRN 408240
- Nant Pennig Stoney Mound, 2008: NPRN 408238
- Noddfa Welsh Independent Chapel, Taibach, 2016: NPRN 9848
- Pen Caenewydd Cairn, 2011: NPRN 84254
- Rhyd-Uchaf Stone Pile, 2008: NPRN 408218
- Sebuel Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Ruthin, 2016: NPRN 7885
- Skomer Island Hut 13, 2016: NPRN 421858
- Twyn-y-Glog Cairn, 2011: NPRN 94520
- Twyn-y-Glog Ring Cairn, 2011: NPRN 84519
- Wick Stream Dams, Skomer Island, 2015: NPRN 415705
- Yr Allt (Blaen Senni) Sheepfold, 2009: NPRN 421857
Leonard Monroe Photographs: Ref. No. LMP0040-1685
Black and white photographic prints (some accompanied by their negatives) relating to various Welsh sites; produced by former Ministry of Works architect, Leonard Monroe.
Covering dates: c. 1930s-1950s
Milford Haven to Brecon Gas Pipeline Archive: Ref. No. MHB
Archaeological archive records relating to the construction of the Milford Haven to Brecon gas pipeline; produced by Cotswold Archaeology.
Covering dates: c.2008
RCAHMW produced negatives relating to:
- Berriew Old Vicarage: NPRN 301
- Bishops Palace, St Davids: NPRN 21633
- Caerleon I ISCA Legionary Fortress: NPRN 95647
- Caernarvon – aerial view: NPRN 33011
- Carlton Cinema, Swansea: NPRN 31755
- Coomb House: NPRN 115369 & 17232
- Hafotty I Hafodty, Merioneth: NPRN 28469
- Kinmel Park I Clarendon School, Bodelwydden: NPRN 27395
- Lamphey Bishop’s Palace: NPRN 22223
- Llansannor Court, Cowbridge: NPRN 19193
- Maes-y-Pandy, Corris: NPRN 40015
- Neath Abbey: NPRN 133
- Pandy, Abercegir: NPRN 307112
- Pandy, Abercorris: NPRN 40935
- Pandy Dolau Gwyn: NPRN 40949
- Pandy Dolobran I Dolobran Woollen Factory: NPRN 40951
- Pandy Nant-yr-Hedydd: NPRN 40941 & 416536
- Penrice Castle Mansion: NPRN 19670
- Plasau Duon: NPRN 299
- Rhosson Uvhaf Farmhouse, St. David’s: NPRN 30144
- Rhyd-y-Carw: NPRN 43520
- St. Eilian’s Church, Llaneilian: NPRN 32283
- Tenby – aerial view: NPRN 33213
- Tre-Owen House: NPRN 20921
Photo-survey relating to:
- Aberaeron, c.1920: NPRN 33034
- Aberaeron Harbour, c.1920: NPRN 34169
- Boverton Place, 1965: NPRN 18070
- Brecon, c.1920: NPRN 32994
- Brecon Bridge I Usk Road Bridge I Llanfeas Bridge, Brecon, c.1920: NPRN 23764
- Brecon Priory, c.1920: NPRN 301834
- Brynich Aqueduct, Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal, c.1920: NPRN 34366
- Cae-yr-Arfau, 1965: NPRN 18214
- Cae -yr-Arfau Burial Chamber, 1965: NPRN 93016
- Castell-y-Mynach, 1965: NPRN 300587
- Crickhowell, c.1920: NPRN 91235
- Crickhowell Bridge, c.1920: NPRN 23741
- Cwrtdefaid Cottages I Quarter David, Margam, c.1965: NPRN 19812
- Cwrt-Isaf, c.1965: NPRN 18492
- Fishweir Farmhouse, 1965: NPRN 18675
- Llanddewi Brefi: NPRN 33044
- Llananno Bridge: NPRN 24276
- Llangynidr Bridge: NPRN 23747
- Llawhaden Bridge, 1930: NPRN 24255
- Llawhaden Castle, 1931: NPRN 94109
- Lock Road Bridge, Cefn Brynich, c.1920: NPRN 23748
- Lower Mill, Llanrhidian, 1965: NPRN 34947
- Manorbier, 1931: NPRN 407043
- Manorbier Castle, 1931: NPRN 94195
- Margam Stones, Margam Abbey, c.1965: NPRN 94512
- Ogmore Castle, 1965: NPRN 93019
- Pembroke Castle, Pembrokshire, 1931: NPRN 94945
- Pen Ucha’r Dre, 1965: NPRN 19692
- Roch Castle, 1931: NPRN 102780
- St. Aidan’s Church, Llawhaden, 1931: NPRN 400271
- St. Bilo’s Church, Llandilo, 1931: NPRN 217
- St. Blethian’s Church I Church of St. John the Baptist, Llanblethian, 1965: NPRN 164
- St. Bride’s I St Bridget’s Church, 1965: NPRN 155
- St. Caron’s Church, Tregaron: NPRN 105105
- St Catherine’s Fort, St. Catherine’s Island, Tenby, 1931: NPRN 268163
- St. David’s Church, Llanddew, c.1920: NPRN 213
- St. Dunwyd I St. Donat’s Church, 1965: NPRN 152
- St. Edmund’s Church, Crickhowell, c.1920: NPRN 301744
- St. Fagan’s, 1965: NPRN 268018
- St. George’s Church, Super-Ely, 1965: NPRN 409968
- St. Govan’s Chapel, 1931: NPRN 95059
- St. John’s Cathedral I Brecon Cathedral, Brecon, c.1920: NPRN 96574
- St. Lawrence’s church, Gumfreston, c.1930: NPRN 300432
- St. Mary’s Church, Tenby, 1931: NPRN 103686
- St. Mary and St. Cynidr’s, Llangynidr: NPRN 403798
- St. Michael’s Church, Llanmihangel, 1964: NPRN 161
- St. Padarn’s Church, Llanbadarn Fawr: NPRN 236
- Strata Florida Abbey I Abaty Ystrad Fflur: NPRN 95764
- Tenby Town Walls, 1930: NPRN 127
- The Old Forge, Brecon, c.1920: NPRN 25470
- Tregaron: NPRN 33053
- Trichrug, Vale of Aeron, c.1920
RCAHMW A.P. Mapping Collection: Ref. No. AP001-AP007
Collection of material including reports, overlays and printouts produced in the course of RCAHMW A.P. mapping project
Covering dates: c.1995-2013
RCAHMW Digital Survey, Sudbrook Chapel: Ref. No. DSC2016_SSM
Archive relating to an RCAHMW digital survey of Skomer sub-medieval site carried out by Toby Driver.
Covering dates: 2016
RCAHMW Digital Survey, Sudbrook Chapel: Ref. No. DSC2016_WSM
Web-friendly digital depiction (.pdf) from an RCAHMW digital survey of standing stone pair at Wick, Skomer Island carried out by Toby Driver.
Covering dates: 2016
- Baker, John; Brookes, Stuart; Reynolds, Andrew. 2013. Landscapes of Defence in Early Medieval Europe. Turnhout: Brepols Publishers n.v.
- Bull, Stephen. 2007. Triumphant Rider: The Lancaster Roman Cavalry Tombstone. Preston: Palatine Books.
- Chavarria Arnau, A. & Reynolds, A. [eds.]. 2015. Detecting and understanding historic landscapes. Mantova: SAP Societa Archeologica.
- Collins, Rob; Symonds, Matthew. 2013. Breaking Down Boundaries: Hadrian’s Wall in the 21st Century. Portsmouth: Journal of Roman Archaeology.
- Cunliffe,Barry. 2013. The Roman Villa at Brading, Isle of Wight; The Excavations of 2008-10. Oxford: Oxford University School of Archaeology.
- Darvill, Timothy, James, Heather, Murphy, Kenneth, Wainwright, Geoffrey & Walker, Elizabeth A. 2016. Pembrokeshire County History, vol. I, Prehistoric, Roman and Early Medieval Pembrokeshire. Haverfordwest: Pembrokeshire County History Trust.
- Davies, Stephen J. 2016. The Manor of Tir Iarll: Records in the parishes of Llangynwyd & Bettws 1262-1838. Maesteg: Llynfi Valley Historical Society.
- Evans, Christopher. 2013. Process and History: Romano-British communities at Colne Fen, Earith: Cau landscape archives: the archaeology of the Lower Ouse Valley, Volume II. Cambridge: Cambridge Archaeological Unit.
- Gamble, Clive; Gowlett, John; Dunbar, Robin. 2014. Thinking Big: How the Evolution of Social Life Shaped the Human Mind. London: Thames & Hudson Ltd.
- Giles, Colum; Williams, Mike. 2015. Ditherington Mill and the Industrial Revolution. Swindon: Historic England.
- Hughes, Iestyn. 2016. Tywydd mawr – mewn lluniau, Talybont: Y Llolfa.
- James, Tom Beaumont; Gerrard, Christopher. 2007. Clarendon: Landscape of Kings. Macclesfield: Windgather Press Ltd.
- Johns, Catherine. 2010. The Hoxne Late Roman Treasure: Gold jewellery and Silver Plate. London: British Museum Press.
- Jones, Andrew Meirion; Freedman, Davina; O’Connor Blaze, Lamdin-Whymark, Hugo; Tipping, Richard; Watson, Aaron. 2011. An Animate Landscape: Rock Art and the Prehistory of Kilmartin, Argyll, Scotland. Oxford: Windgather Press.
- Nowakowski, Jacqueline; Quinnell, Henrietta. 2011. Trevelgue head, Cornwall: the importance of CK Croft Andrew’s 1939 excavations for prehistoric and Roman Cornwall. Cornwall: Cornwall Council.
- Pettitt, Paul; Bahn, Paul; Ripoll, Sergio (Ed.). 2007. Palaeolithic Cave Art at Cresswell Crags in European Context. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Sherlock, Stephen J. 2012. A Royal Anglo-Saxon Cemetery at Street House, Loftus, North-East Yorkshire. Hartlepool: Tees Archaeology.
- Thomas, Alan; Holbrook, Neil; Bateman, Clifford. 2003. Later Prehistoric and Romano-British Burial and Settlement at Hucclecote, Gloucestershire. Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Report No.2. Cirencester: Cotswold Archaeological Trust Ltd.
- Visy, Zsolt. 2008. The Roman Limes in Hungary. Frontiers of the Roman Empire. University of Pecs: Historic Scotland/Deutsche Limeskommission.
- Vyner, Blaise (Ed.). 1994. Building on the Past: Papers Celebrating 150 Years of the Royal Archaeological Institute. London: The Royal Archaeological Institute.
- Watts, Susan R. 2014. The life and death of querns: the deposition and use-contexts of Querns in South-Western England from the Neolithic to the Iron Age. Chandlers Ford: The Highfield Press Southampton.
- Whimster, Rowan (Ed.). 2011. The New Antiquarians: 50 years of archaeological innovation in Wessex. York: Council for British Archaeology.
- White, Peter & Cook, Alan. 2015. Sherborne Old Castle, Dorset: archaeological investigations 1930-90. London: Society of Antiquaries of London.
- Whitworth, Alan. 2011. Fountains Abbey through time. Stroud: Amberley Publishing.
- Woodside, Robert; Crow, James. 1999. Hadrian’s Wall: An historic landscape. The National Trust
- Ancient Monuments Society Newsletter no. 3/2016 (Autumn 2016)
- Antiquity vol. 90 no. 354 (December 2016)
- Archaeology in Wales vol. 55 (2016)
- Below! no. 2016.4 (Winter)
- Britannia vol. 47 (2016)
- British Archaeology no. 152 (Jan/Feb 2017)
- Current Archaeology no. 322 (January 2017)
- Domestic Buildings Research Group (Surrey) News no. 134 (October 2016)
- Maplines vol. 28 no. 3 (Winter 2016)
- Panel for Historical Engineering Works Newsletter no. 151 (September 2016)
- Pembrokeshire Life (December 2016)
- Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society vols. 81 and 82 (2015 & 2016)
- Royal Historical Society Newsletter (November 2016)
- Sheetlines no. 107 (December 2016) and Index 69-107
- Site Recorder no. 1604 (December 2016)
- Tools and Trades History Society Newsletter no. 135 (Winter 2016)
- Welsh History Review vol. 28 no. 2 (December 2016)
- Welsh Mines Society Newsletter no. 75 (Autumn 2016)
- Welsh Railways Archive vol. 6 no. 4 (Winter 2016)
- Welsh Railways Research Centre Newsletter no. 149 (Winter 2016)
- British Cartographic Society Members’ Bulletin (December 2016)
- NAMHO Newsletter no. 78 (December 2016)
Journals Current Awareness
Current Archaeology no. 322, p. 24: ‘Roman Mucking: Coming to terms with the messy reality’ by Christopher Catling; p. 64: ‘Sherds’ column by Christopher Catling (the importance of labelling of photographs and slides; burial and cremation practices; the glacial erratic in Northfield commemorated; how to distinguish between Victorian and Neolithic quarrying)
Panel for Historical Engineering Works Newsletter no. 151, p. 3: ‘Links with the North East – Robertstown Bridge’ by Stephen K. Jones [new plaque for this 1811 bridge over the Cynon]
Welsh History Review vol. 28 no. 2 p. 335: ‘The World Cannot Hear You: Gwyn Thomas (1913-1981), Communism and the Cold War’ by Daryl Leeworthy
If you have any comments or enquiries, please feel free to contact us:
NMRW Library and Enquiries Service
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales
Ceredigion SY23 3BU
Telephone: +44 (0)1970 621200
Fax: +44 (0)1970 627701
Correspondence welcomed in Welsh and English