Royal Commission Archive & Library Bulletin of Newly Catalogued Material – February 2020
Welcome to the latest monthly edition of the National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW) Archives and Library Bulletin which lists all newly catalogued material. The archival items, library books and journal articles are all available to view in our public reading room. The full archive catalogue is available on Coflein and contains digital copies of many of the items listed. All publications may be found on our online Library Catalogue.
Our Library and reading room is open:
Monday – Friday 09.30 – 16.00,
Wednesday 10.30 – 16.30.
An appointment is advisable.
RCAHMW Library and Searchroom
Our Enquiry Service, and Searchroom, will re-open on Monday 24 February. Please note that our Searchroom will be operating from the National Library’s North Reading Room. We do not currently have access to our library stock, but archival material is available as usual.
With apologies for any inconvenience.
- Jackson-Stops & Staff sales particulars for Coed y Celyn, Betts y Coed, August, 1955: C.680138
Archaeological Reports/Evaluations (non Trust)
Report relating to:
- Llys Dorfil, Blaenau Ffestiniog, 2018: Ref. AENT43_04
Cadw Listed Buildings 35mm Colour Negative Collection
- Images of Listed Buildings, taken by William R. Hughes, 1987; additions to the collection: Ref. CLBN/WRH
Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust Project Archives
Digital project archives relating to:
- Domen Gastell Motte and Bailey, Welshpool, 2012: Ref. CPATP_079
- Llandrillo, Clwyd, 1992-2005: Ref. CPATP_080
- Stanage Park Lane, Knighton, Powys, 2018: Ref. CPATP_081
- Offa’s Dyke, Kingswood, Powys, 2019: Ref. CPATP_082
- Upper House, Bronllys, Powys, 2019: Ref. CPATP_083
- Modrydd Farm, Libanus, Powys, 2019: Ref. CPATP_084
- Moat Farm, Bishops Moat, Powys, 2017: Ref. CPATP_085
- Perthi, Hundred House, Powys, 2018: Ref. CPATP_086
- Former British School, Llanidloes, Powys, 2019: Ref. CPATP_087
- The Bungalow, Church Street, Holt, Wrexham, 2019: Ref. CPATP_088
D.B. Hague Slide Collection: Ref. DBHSC
Colour slides relating to various sites in Wales
Covering dates: 1950-1990
Emergency Recording Collection
Digital measured surveys and photographs relating to:
- Bethmaca Chapel, Glasinfryn, Bangor, 2016: Ref. ERC2020_002
- Holy Trinity Church, Ystrad Mynach, 2020: Ref. ERC2020_003
- Llwyncelyn, Cnwch Coch, 2019: Ref. ERC2020_004
- 3 Mount Pleasant Terrace, Bangor, 2020: Ref. ERC2020_005
General Digital Donations Collection
- Colour photographs showing the remains of the Norman Court, Cymyran Bay, 2010: Ref. DD2020_001
Glyn Neath Gunpowder Works Collection: Ref. GNGWC
Material relating to Glyn Neath Gunpowder Works and Dinas Silica Mine. Includes archaeological records, drawings, historic information, interview transcripts, maps, negatives, prints and photographs
Covering dates: 1985-2016
Headland Archaeology Projects Archive
Project archives relating to:
- Elan Valley Aqueduct:Ffrydd Wood Conduit Rehabilitation, 2018-2020: Ref. HAP032
Investigators’ Digital Photography
Photo surveys relating to:
- Carreg Coetan Chambered Tomb, in winter light, 2020: Ref. DS2020_0002
Monmouthshire Historic Houses: Ref. MHH
Album of historic views (photographs, postcards, and prints) of principal houses in Monmouthshire
Covering dates: c.1901-1908
Paul R. Davis Collection
Digital, aerial, colour photographs relating to various sites in Wales, 2019; additions to the collection: Ref. PRD_02_2798-2928
RCAHMW Colour Oblique Digital Aerial Photographs
Oblique aerial photographs relating to:
- Ceredigion Trotting Circuit at Tan y Castell, Aberystwyth, 2013: Ref. AP2020_0230
- Roundhouses at Melin Llynon, Llanddeusant, 2013: Ref. AP2020_0231
Skomer Island Project: Ref. SIP
Records from the Skomer Island Project: a collaboration between RCAHMW, University of Sheffield and Cardiff University
Covering dates: 2011-2017
- All our books and journals can be found on the Royal Commission’s Library Catalogue and viewed in our Library and Search Room.
- Alcock, Nat, Barnwell, P.S. and Cherry, Martin. 2019. Cruck building: a survey. Donington: Shaun Tyas.
- Anderson, Janice. 2007. Working life in Britain, 1900 to 1950. London: Futura.
- Anelay, George. 2019. The Selhurst Park project: Middle Barn, Selhurstpark Farm, Eartham, Wes Sussex 2005-2008. Oxford: Oxbow.
- Anthony, David W. 2007. The horse, the wheel, and language. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Aston, Mick and Gerrard, Chris. 2013. Interpreting the English village: landscape and community at Shapwick, Somerset. Oxford: Windgather Press.
- Bahn, Paul [ed]. 2014. The history of archaeology: an introduction. London and New York: Routledge, Taylor and Francis Group.
- Baird, Christina. 2016. Showcase Britain: Britain at the Vienna World Exhibition 1873. Bern: Peter Lang.
- Balfour, Michael. 1983. Stonehenge and its mysteries. London: Hutchinson.
- Barber, Martyn. 2011. A history of aerial photography and archaeology: Mata Hari’s glass eye and other stories. Swindon: English Heritage.
- Barley, Maurice. 1986. Houses & history. London: Faber and Faber.
- Bowen, H.C. 1991. The archaeology of Bokerley Dyke: inventory. London: RCHME.
- Brodie, Allan. 1999. Behind bars: the hidden architecture of England’s prisons. Swindon: English Heritage.
- Brown, Cynthia Gaskell. 1973. Industrial archaeology of Plymouth: a guide. Plymouth: W. E. A. Industrial Archaeology Group.
- Brown, Michael and Katie Stevenson [eds]. 2017. Medieval St Andrews: church, cult, city. Woodbridge: The Boydell Press.
- Brown, Michelle P. 2011. The book and the transformation of Britain c.550-1050. London: British Library.
- Cadw. 2002. What is Listing? : Listed buildings in Wales / Beth yw Rhestru? : Rhestru adeiladau yng Nghymru. Cardiff: Cadw.
- Cadw. 2019. Understanding scheduling in Wales. Cardiff: Cadw/Welsh Government.
- Cambrian News. (19??). Aberystwyth : what to see and how to see it. Aberystwyth: Cambrian News.
- Carver, Martin. 2008. Portmahomack: Monastery of the Picts. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
- Carver, Martin, Garner-Lahire, Justin and Spall, Cecily. 2016. Portmahomack on Tartbat Ness: changing ideologies in North-East Scotland, Sixth to Sixteenth Century AD. Edinburgh: Society of Antiquaries of Scotland.
- Casey, John and Reece, Richard [eds]. 1974. Coins and the archaeologist. Oxford: British Archaeological Reports.
- Chadwick, Nora. 1972. The Celts. Harmondsworth: Pelican Books.
- Chandler, John and A.R.J. Juřica [eds]. 2016. A history of the county of Gloucester: The Vale of Gloucester and Leadon Valley. Woodbridge: Boydell and Brewer.
- Chatterton, Frederick. 1928. English Architecture at a glance. 4th ed. London: The Architectural Press.
- Chatwin, Philip B. 1951. Old Warwick: A description of old buildings. London: Compton-Dando.
- Childe, V. Gordon. 1957. The dawn of European civilization. New York: Vintage Books.
- Cline, Eric. H. 2009. Biblical archaeology: a very short introduction. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Conway Borough Council. 1937. Official guide to historic Conway : with sunny Deganwy and Llandudno Junction. Conway: Conway Borough Council.
- Cooijmans, Christian (ed.) 2017. Traversing the inner seas: contacts and continuity in and around Scotland, the Hebrides, and the North of Ireland. Edinburgh: The Scottish Society for Northern Studies.
- Crawford, Harriet (ed.) Subterranean Britain: aspects of underground archaeology. London: John Baker.
- Cunliffe, Barry and Koch, John T. [Eds]. 2019. Exploring Celtic origins: new ways forward in archaeology, linguistics, and genetics. Oxford and Philadelphia: Oxbow.
- Darvill, Timothy. 2004. Long barrows of the Cotswolds: and surrounding areas. Stroud: Tempus Publishing.
- De Burgh, W.G. 1967. The legacy of the Ancient World. Harmondsworth: Pelican Books.
- Dick, Malcolm and Elaine Mitchell [eds]. 2018. Gardens and green spaces in the West Midlands since 1700. Hatfield, Hertfordshire: West Midlands Publications.
- Dimbleby, Geoffrey. 1978. Plants and archaeology. London: Paladin.
- Dyer, James. 1981. The Penguin Guide to prehistoric England and Wales. London: Allen Lane.
- Etting, Vivian. 2013. The story of the drinking horn: drinking culture in Scandinavia during the Middle Ages. Copenhagen: National Museum of Denmark.
- Everill, Paul. 2009. The invisible diggers: a study of British commercial archaeology. Oxford: Oxbow.
- Filip, Jan. 1962. Celtic civilization and its heritage. Prague: Publishing House of the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences and ARTIA.
- Finley, M. I. 1972. Aspects of antiquity: discoveries and controversies. Middlesex: Penguin Books.
- Finn, Margot and Smith, Kate. 2018. The East India Company at home, 1757-1857. London: UCL Press.
- Fleming, Robin. 2011. Britain after Rome: the rise and fall, 400 to 1070. London: Penguin Books.
- Foot, Sarah. 2006. Monastic life in Anglo-Saxon England, c. 600-900. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Hall, David. 1982. Medieval fields. Aylesbury: Shire Publishing.
- Hawkes, Jacquetta. 1987. Early Britain: Britain in pictures. London: Bracken Books.
- Hawkins, Gerald S. 1973. Stonehenge decoded. London: Fontana.
- Hekker, R.C. 1985. De Schouwse stolp: een verdwenen boerderijtype. Arnhem: Stichting Historisch Boerderij-onderzoek.
- Herrmann, Georgina. 1999. Monuments of Merv: traditional buildings of the Karakum. London: The Society of Antiquaries of London.
- Hiskey, Christine. 2016. Holkham: the social, architectural and landscape history of a great English country house. Norwich: Unicorn Press.
- Hoskins, W. G. 1972. Local history in England. London: Longman Group.
- Hudson, Kenneth. 1980. Where we used to work. London: John Baker.
- Ivleva, Tatiana, Jasper de Bruin and Mark Driessen [eds]. 2018. Embracing the provinces: society and material culture of the Roman Frontier regions. Oxford: Oxbow.
- James, Brian (ed.). 2016. Cowbridge & Llanblethian: an historical medley. Llanblethian: Cowbridge History Society.
- Johnson, Peter. 2019. The Corris Railway: the story of a Mid-Wales slate railway. Narrow Gauge Railways. Barnsley. South Yorkshire: Pen and Sword.
- Johnston, David E. (ed.) 1983. Discovering Roman Britain. Aylesbury: Shire Publications.
- Jones, Trefor, Lloyd, Mike Morton and Jones, Rhobat Bryn. 2018. Barry Railway drawings: Welsh railway records. Volume 2. Newport: Welsh Railway Circle.
- Kelly, S.E. (Ed.). 2012. Charters of Glastonbury Abbey. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Kerr, Nigel and Mary. 1984. A guide to Norman sites in Britain. Granada: Paladin.
- Kitto, H.D.F. 1951. The Greeks. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books.
- Lane, Alan and Mark Redknap. 2019. Llangorse Crannog: the excavation of an Early Medieval royal site in the Kingdom of Brycheiniog. Oxford and Philadelphia: Oxbow.
- Laycock, Stuart. 2009. Warlords: the struggle for power in Post-Roman Britain. Stroud: The History Press.
- Lockyear, Kris [ed]. 2015. Archaeology in Hertfordshire: recent research: a festschrift for Tony Rook. Hatfield: Hertfordshire Publications.
- Lowenthal, David. 1985. The past is a foreign country. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Mandt, Gro and Lødøen, Trond. 2010. The rock art of Norway. Oxford: Windgather Press.
- McCarthy, Patricia. 2016. Life in the country house in Georgian Ireland. New Haven & London: published for The Paul Mellon Centre for studies in British art by Yale university Press.
- Minnis, John. 2014. England’s motoring heritage from the air. Swindon: English Heritage.
- Morales, Helen. 2007. Classical mythology: a very short introduction. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Morrison, Kathryn A., et al. [eds]. 2016. Apethorpe: the story of an English country house. London: Yale University Press.
- National Museum of Wales. 1970. Farmhouses and cottages in Wales. Cardiff: National Museum of Wales.
- Ottaway, Patrick, et al. 2017. Winchester: St Swithun’s ‘City of Happiness and Good Fortune’: an archaeological assessment. Oxford: Oxbow Books.
- Patton, Marcus. 2011. The bedside book of dormers and other delights: a pictorial guide to traditional architectural details in Ulster. Belfast: Ulster Architectural Heritage Society.
- Pennick, Nigel. 1981. The subterranean kingdom: a survey of man-made structures beneath the Earth. Wellingborough: Turnstone Press.
- Pevsner, Nikolaus. 1963. The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books.
- Pevsner, Nikolaus. 1968. The Buildings of England: Worcestershire. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books.
- Piggott, Stuart. 1961. Prehistoric India: to 1000 B.C. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books.
- Piggott, Stuart.1976. Ruins in a landscape: essays in antiquarianism. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
- [Public Record Office]. 1964. List of documents relating to the household and wardrobe: John to Edward 1. London: H.M.S.O.
- Richmond, Ian. 1987. Roman Britain. Bracken Books.
- Ridley, Matt. 2000. Genome: The autobiography of a species. London: Fourth Estate.
- Rodwell, Warwick. 2009. Dorchester Abbey Oxfordshire: the archaeology and architecture of a cathedral, monastery and parish church. Oxford: Oxbow Books.
- Roskams, Steve. 2001. Excavation. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Rowe, Anne. 2019. Tudor and Early Stuart parks of Herefordshire. Hatfield: Herefordshire Publications.
- Rowley, Trevor. 1987. Villages in the landscape. Gloucester: Alan Sutton Publishing.
- Simpson, Frank. 1912. Cilcain and its Parish Church. Chester: [printed by] G. R. Griffith. Ltd.
- Smith, C; Neal, S.R. and Leighton, C. [eds]. 2014. Calendar of Patent rolls 45 Elizabeth I (1602-1603) C 66/1596-1606: with an appendix of Dispensation rolls (1594-1598, 1601-1603) C 58/1-6. Kew: List and Index Society.
- Solopova, Elizabeth. 2016. Manuscripts of the Wycliffite Bible in the Bodleian and Oxford College Libraries. Liverpool: Liverpool University Press.
- Swanton, Michael. 1977. Exploring early Britain. Wakefield: E.P. Publishing Limited.
- Sykes, Naomi. 2014. Beastly questions. London: Bloomsbury.
- Teller, Geneviève. 2018. Neolithic and Bronze Age funerary and ritual practices in Wales, 3600-1200 BC. BAR British Series 642. Oxford: BAR.
- Thornton, Christopher C. [ed]. 2012. A history of the County of Essex vol XI: Clacton, Walton and Frinton: North-east Essex Seaside Resorts. Woodbridge: Boydell and Brewer.
- Tilly, Charles. 2016. Explaining social processes. London: Routledge.
- Thorstad, Audrey M. 2019. The culture of castles in Tudor England and Wales. Woodbridge: Boydell Press.
- Townley, Simon. 2011. A history of the County of Oxford Vol XVI: Henley-on-Thames and Environs. Woodbridge: Boydell and Brewer.
- Townley, Simon. 2012. A history of the County of Oxford Vol XVII: Broadwell, Langford and Kelmscott: Bampton Hundred, Part Four. Woodbridge: Boydell and Brewer.
- Townley, Simon. 2016. A history of the County of Oxford Vol XVIII: Benson, Ewelme, and the Chilterns (Ewelme Hundred). Woodbridge: Boydell and Brewer.
- Trigger, Bruce G. 1980. Gordon Childe: revolutions in archaeology. London: Thames and Hudson.
- Verey, David. 1970. The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of Dean. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books.
- Verey, David. 1970. The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books.
- Wakeling, C. 2016. Nonconformist places of worship: introductions to heritage assets. Swindon: Historic England.
- Wells, Spencer. 2002. The journey of man: a genetic odyssey. London: Penguin Books.
- Welsh Assembly Government. 2016. Cymru’n cofio / Wales remembers 1914-1918: Programme 2016. Cardiff[?]: Welsh Assembly Government.
- White, Roger. 2017. Cottages Ornés: the charms of the simple life. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- Wilson, David. 1997. The care and storage of photographs: recommendations for good practice. London: NAPLIB.
- Wingårdh, Gunhild. 1993. Markförluster och markersättningar inför grävningen av Göta kanal. Linköping: Linköpings universitet,.
- Woodward, Ann and Hunter, John. 2015. Ritual in early Bronze Age grave goods: an examination of ritual and dress equipment from Chalcolithic and early Bronze Age graves in England. Oxford: Oxbow Books.
Offprints from the Vernacular Architecture Group Library
- Sunday Times. 28 May 1961, p. 40. ‘The English house: a Sunday Times outline history’. London: Kemsley Newspapers [Newspaper cutting – insert from Chatterton 1928.]
- Tonkin, J. W. 1966. Vernacular buildings, 1966, off-print from Transactions of Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club, pp. 1-4. Hereford : Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club.
- Tonkin, J. W. 1967. Vernacular buildings, 1967, off-print from Transactions of Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club, pp. 164-169. Hereford : Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club.
- Tonkin, J. W. 1968. Vernacular buildings, 1968, off-print from Transactions of Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club, pp. 374-380. Hereford : Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club.
- Tonkin, J. W. 1969. Buildings, 1969, off-print from Transactions of Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club, pp. 481-485. Hereford : Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club.
- Tonkin, J. W. 1970. Buildings, 1970, off-print from Transactions of Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club, pp. 165-171. Hereford : Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club.
- Tonkin, J. W. 1971. Buildings, 1971, off-print from Transactions of Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club, pp. 285-290. Hereford : Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club.
- Tonkin, J. W. 1972. Buildings, 1972, off-print from Transactions of Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club, pp. 395-400. Hereford : Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club.
- Tonkin, J. W. 1973. Buildings, 1973, off-print from Transactions of Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club, pp. 126-128. Hereford : Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club.
- Tonkin, J. W. 1974. Buildings, 1974, off-print from Transactions of Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club, pp. 261-264. Hereford : Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club.
- Tonkin, J. W. 1975. Buildings, 1975, off-print from Transactions of Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club, pp. 344-346. Hereford : Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club.
- Tonkin, J. W. 1977. Buildings, 1977, off-print from Transactions of Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club, pp. 198-199. Hereford : Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club.
- Tonkin, J. W. 1979. Buildings, 1979, off-print from Transactions of Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club, pp. 74-76. Hereford : Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club.
- Tonkin, J. W. 1980. Buildings, 1980, off-print from Transactions of Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club, pp. 229-230. Hereford : Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club.
- Tonkin, J. W. 1981. Buildings, 1981, off-print from Transactions of Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club, pp. 363-365. Hereford : Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club.
- Tonkin, J. W. 1982. Buildings, 1982, off-print from Transactions of Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club, pp. 126-128. Hereford : Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club.
- Tonkin, J. W. 1983. Buildings, 1983, off-print from Transactions of Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club, pp. 252-255. Hereford : Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club.
- Tonkin, J. W. 1984. Buildings, 1984, off-print from Transactions of Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club, pp. 438-440. Hereford : Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club.
- Archaeological Journal Volume 157-158 (2000-2001).
- Archaeological Journal Volume 163-166 (2006-2009).
- Archaeological Journal Volume 168 (2011).
- Architects’ Journal Volume 247 (Issue 02, 30/01/2020 and 03, 13/02/2020).
- British Archaeology Volume 171 (March/April 2020).
- Broadsheet: Post Medieval Ceramic Research Group (Number 1-4, 1964-1966).
- Building Conservation Directory Volume 27 (2020).
- Cartographic Journal Volume 56, November 4 (November 2019).
- Ceredigion Volume 18 (Number 3, 2019).
- Chapels Society Newsletter Volume 073 (January 2020).
- Community Archaeology & Heritage Volume 7 (Number 1, February 2020).
- Context Volume 143-150 (March 2016-July 2017).
- Context Volume 154-162 (May 2018-November 2019).
- Council for British Archaeology Newsletter Issue 48 (January-March 2020).
- Current Archaeology Volume 360 (March 2020).
- Current World Archaeology Issue 99 (February/March 2020).
- DBRG News January (2020).
- Eavesdropper: The Newsletter of the Suffolk Historic Buildings Group (Number 52, Autumn 2018 to Number 60, Autumn 2019).
- The Georgian Volume 2 (2019).
- Tiles & Architectural Ceramics Society Journal Volume 21 (2015).
- Tijdschrift van de Rijksdienst voor het Cultureel Erfgoed (2015, Part 2 to 2019, Part 4).
- Vernacular Architecture Group Newsletter Volume 78 (February 2020).
- Welsh Historic Gardens Trust Bulletin Volume 78 (Winter 2020).
- Welsh Mills Society Newsletter Volume 138 (January 2020).
Journals: Current Awareness
- The Chapels Society Newsletter Volume 073 (January 2020), p. 20 – Rescuing Welsh chapels.
- Current Archaeology Volume 360 (March 2020) p.16-17 Keeping up with the neighbours: Bryn Celli Bach, Anglesey.
- The Georgian Volume 2 (2019), p.23-24 – Fighting for abandoned and endangered country houses, Marcus Binney discusses the decline of Piercefield, near Chepstow.
If you have any comments or enquiries, please feel free to contact us:
NMRW Library and Enquiries Service
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales
Ceredigion SY23 3BU
Croesewir gohebiaeth yn y Gymraeg a’r Saesneg | Correspondence welcomed in Welsh and English