Royal Commission Archive & Library Bulletin of Newly Catalogued Material – March 2018
Welcome to the latest monthly edition of the National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW) Archives and Library Bulletin which lists all newly catalogued material. The archival items, library books and journal articles are all available to view in our public reading room. The full archive catalogue is available on Coflein and contains digital copies of many of the items listed. All publications may be found on our online Library Catalogue.
Our Library and reading room is open:
Monday – Friday 09.30 – 16.00,
Wednesday 10.30 – 16.30.
An appointment is advisable.
Archaeological Perspectives Analysis Consultancy (A.P.A.C. Ltd)
Digital records relating to archaeological investigations at:
- The Mill Tavern, Coed Eva, Cwmbran, 2013: Ref. No. APAC_100
- North Gate Inn, Caerwent, 2015: Ref. No. APAC_101
- Oystercatcher Inn, Laleston, 2012: Ref. No. APAC_102
- Parklands, Redwick, 2013: Ref. No. APAC_103
- Pontnewydd Inn, Cwmbran, 2014: Ref. No. APAC_104
- Porth y Parc, Abergavenny, 2010: Ref. No. APAC_105
- Priory Farm, Langstone, 2013: Ref. No. APAC_106
- Coach and Horses Inn, Caerwent, 2012: Ref. No. APAC_107
- Prospect House, Cross Street, Caerleon , 2013: Ref. No. APAC_108
- Southbrook View Portskewett, 2013: Ref. No. APAC_109
- St Cenau’s Church, Llangenny, 2010: Ref. No. APAC_110
- The Angel Hotel, Abergavenny, 2010: Ref. No. APAC_111
- The Mill, Llanddewi Skirrid, 2014: Ref. No. APAC_112
- Trinity Chapel, Abertillery, 2013: Ref. No. APAC_113
- Ty Ambrose, Sebastopol, 2012: Ref. No. APAC_114
- Ty Ambrose, Sebastopol, 2012: Ref. No. APAC_115
- Ty Dan y Castell, Crickhowell, 2014: Ref. No. APAC_116
- Western Valley, Varteg, 2013: Ref. No. APAC_117
CHERISH Project Archive
Baseline aerial reconnaissance survey relating to Black Point Rath, 2017: Ref. No. CH2018_004
E.W. Lovegrove Collection: Ref. No. EWL
Black and white photographs, and negatives, relating to St. David’s Cathedral
Covering dates: not dated
Heritage Recording Services Wales Project Archives
- Report and digital files relating to Casey’s Roofing Centre (formerly Landore Cinema), Landore, Swansea, 2017: Ref. No. HRS003
Dr Mark Redknap Slide Collection: Ref. No. DMR
Slides showing the wreck ‘City of Ottawa’
Covering dates: 1987-2018
- Brooks, John. 1971. Castles of Wales. Jarrold and Sons: Norwich.
- Casserley, H.C. 1972. Railways since 1939. David and Charles: Newton Abbot.
- Corris Railway Society. 1988. A return to Corris: the continuing story of the Corris Railway. Avon Anglia in conjunction with the Corris Railway Society: Weston-super-Mare.
- Gifford, Colin T. and Gamble Horace. 1976. Steam railways in industry. B.T. Batsford: London.
- Hole, K. [et al.] 1975. Rail 150: the Stockton & Darlington Railway and what followed. Eyre Methuen: London.
- Household, Humphrey. 1989. Narrow gauge railways: England and the fifteen inch. Sutton: Gloucester.
- Mann, F.A.W. 1972. Railway bridge construction: some recent developments. Hutchinson: London.
- Marshall, John. 1978. A biographical dictionary of railway engineers. David and Charles: Newton Abbot.
- Munns, R.T. 1986. Milk churns to merry-go-round: a century of train operation. David and Charles: Newton Abbot.
- Panell, J.P.M. 1977. Man the builder: an illustrated history of engineering. Thames and Hudson: London.
- Sawford, Eric. 1991. The last days of industrial steam. Alan Sutton: Gloucester.
- Taylor, A.J. 1969. Castell Caernarfon: Caernarvon Castle. H.M.S.O.: Cardiff.
- Tucker, Norman. 1951? Gwydir castle. [Gwydir Castle]: [Llanrwst].
- Young. Simon and Houlbrook, Ceri, [Editors]. 2018. Magical folk: British and Irish fairies: 500 AD to the present. Gibson Square: London.
- Ancient Monuments Society/The Friends of Friendless Churches Newsletter Part 1 (Spring 2018)
- Ancient Monuments Society Transactions Volume 062 (2018)
- Below! Journal of the Shropshire Caving and Mining Club 1/2018 (Spring 2018)
- British Archaeology, No. 159 (Mar/Apr 2018)
- Cartographic Journal Vol. 054, no. 04 (November 2017)
- Ceredigion Vol. 18, no. 1 (2017)
- Current Archaeology, Issue. 337 (April 2018)
- Landscapes Vol. 018, No. 2 (November 2017)
- Medieval Settlement Research No. 32 (2017)
- Pembrokeshire Life, (March 2018)
- Railway and Canal Historical Society Bulletin, No 472 (Mar/Apr 2018)
- Railway and Canal Historical Society Journal, No.231 (March 2018)
- The Carmarthenshire Antiquary, Vol. 53 (2017)
- The Victorian No.57 (March 2018)
- Tools and Trades History Society Newsletter, Vol. 139 (Hilary 2018)
- Welsh Railways Research Circle Newsletter Vol. 154 (Spring 2018)
Journals: Current Awareness
Ancient Monuments Society/The Friends of Friendless Churches Newsletter Part 1 (Spring 2018), p. 5: geocaching on Anglesey; p.6 note on the Priests House, Castlemartin; p. 9-14 casework concerning St Michaels, Cilycwm, Carms.; Hengoed Baptist Church; Our Lady of the Rosary, Penmaenmawr; the demolition of Tudno Castle Hotel, Llandudno; Tathan Hall, St Athan; p. 16 purchase of a vase by William Burgess by NMW; p. 18 purchase of Gunter Mansion, Abergavenny by the Welsh Georgian Trust; p. 20 Church Heritage Cymru, the database of church buildings created by the Church in Wales; p. 22 note on the Cubist Modernism of the Crematorium at Margam; p.26 Ainon Chapel, Llanuwchllyn has been taken over by the Welsh Religious Buildings Trust.
Below! Journal of the Shropshire Caving and Mining Club 1/2018 (Spring 2018), p. 3-7: SCMC trip reports including visits to Camdwrbach, Bryn-y-rfr and Henfwlch mines, Ogof, Llanymynech, Wymess, Fron Goch, Cwmorthin, Cwmystwyth; p. 9: Dinas Silica Mine; p. 11-13: Mines near Nant y Moch Reservoir; p. 14-15: A summary of underground works at Cwmystwyth; p. 24: note on the possibility of restarting gold mining at Clogau and Gwynfynydd gold mines.
Landscapes Vol. 018, No. 2 (November 2017), p. 178-199: Mapping the Nation: Landscapes of Survey and the Material Cultures of the Early Ordnance Survey in Britain and Ireland, Keith D. Lilley.
Medieval Settlement Research No. 32 (2017), p. 27-34: Further research on a predictive model of early medieval settlement locations in South Wales: exploring the use of field-names as proxy data, Andy Seaman.
If you have any comments or enquiries, please feel free to contact us:
NMRW Library and Enquiries Service
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales
Ceredigion SY23 3BU
Croesewir gohebiaeth yn y Gymraeg a’r Saesneg | Correspondence welcomed in Welsh and English