Royal Commission Archive & Library Bulletin of Newly Catalogued Material – October 2017
Welcome to the latest monthly edition of the National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW) Archives and Library Bulletin which lists all newly catalogued material. The archival items, library books and journal articles are all available to view in our public reading room. The full archive catalogue is available on Coflein and contains digital copies of many of the items listed. All publications may be found on our online Library Catalogue.
Our Library and reading room is open:
Monday – Friday 09.30 – 16.00,
Wednesday 10.30 – 16.30.
An appointment is advisable.
Colin Guile Collection
Colour slides relating to:
- Ysbyty Cynfyn: Ref. No. CGC/01
- Cwmbrwno Lead Mine: Ref. No. CGC/02
- Llawr Cwm Bach Mine, Elerch: Ref. No. CGC/03
- Bryntail and Y Fan Mines: Ref. No. CGC/04
- Plynlimon Lead Mines: Ref. No. CGC/05
- Eisteddfa Gurig to source of R. Wye, Nant Iago and Nant yr Eira Lead Mine: Ref. No. CGC/06
- Cwmsymlog and Cwmerfin Lead Mines: Ref. No. CGC/07
- Bron Floyd Lead Mine: Ref. No. CGC/08
- Banc y Darren Mine: Ref. No. CGC/09
- Llywernog Lead Mine: Ref. No. CGC/10
- Nant-ddu and Dwfngwm Mines: Ref. No. CGC/11
- Cyneiniog Valley, Tynant, Bwlch Glas Lead Mine: Ref. No. CGC/12
- Neuadd Llwyd Lead Mine: Ref. No. CGC/13
- Hendre Ddu Quarry: Ref. No. CGC/14
- Minllyn Quarry: Ref. No. CGC/15
- Wemyss and Fron-goch Mines: Ref. No. CGC/16
- Glaspwll and Pistyll y Llyn: Ref. No. CGC/17
- Grogwinion and Gwaithgoch Leadmines, Pontrhydygroes and Rhoswydol, Mont: Ref. No. CGC/18
- Aberllefenni Slate Quarries: Ref. No. CGC/19
- Ratgoed Quarry: Ref. No. CGC/20
- Abergynolwyn Quarries: Ref. No. CGC/21
- Pantyspydded: Ref. No. CGC/22
- Tarren y Gesail Quarry: Ref. No. CGC/23
- Gwynfynydd Gold Mines: Ref. No. CGC/24
- Bryntail Mines: Ref. No. CGC/25
- Pensarn Mine, Taliesin: Ref. No. CGC/26
Emergency Recording Collection
Measured drawings and/or related material relating to:
- Plas Tirion: NPRN 27773
- Ye Hen Ysgol: NPRN 23306
- Capel Cwrt: NPRN 43593
- 4 Green Edge Terrace, Beaumaris: NPRN 15698
- Malpas Court: NPRN 20307
- 3 Raglan Street, Beaumaris: NPRN 15845
- 35 Goat Street St Davids: NPRN 21996
- Plas Trefarthen: NPRN 15897
- Town Farm, Grosmont: NPRN 20895
- Lower Celliau: NPRN 45127
- Twr Telford, Portmeirion: NPRN 422213
- Gelli Farm: NPRN 306607
- Old Mill, rear of 40 High Street, Llanidloes: NPRN 41036
- Bryn Glas, Llanfachraeth: NPRN 422222
- Tathan Hall: NPRN 96310
- Caerau Stable with servants loft: NPRN 31057
- The Rest, Porthcawl: NPRN 745
Collection of (mainly) colour slides entitled:
- Wales Prehist II, WP II: Ref. No. AHAH05
- Wales Forts II: Ref. No. AHAH06
- WS II, WE II: Ref. No. AHAH07
- Welsh Castles I: Ref. No. AHAH08
- Wales Forts III: Ref. No. AHAH09
- FT79 & 81: Ref. No. AHAH10
- France, Scotland, Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia, England – Hadrians Wall and misc antiquities: Ref. No. AHAH11
- Wales Scenery I: Ref. NO. AHAH12
- Pen Llystyn, H/F S. Wales, Wales Scenery and misc antiquities, H/F N. Wales: Ref. No. AHAH13
- Wales Eccles I: Ref. No. AHAH14
- Wales Dwellings I: Ref. No. AHAH15
Investigators Digital Photography
Digital photographic surveys relating to:
- Hepste Fechan, Moorland Holding, Ystradfellte: Ref. No. DS2017_016
- Mynydd Myddfai Small Cairn: Ref. No. DS2017_017
- Pant-y-Gadair Platfomr: Ref. No. DS2017_018
- Upper Usk LEat: Ref. No. DS2017_019
- Upper Taw Longhut: Ref. NO. DS2017_020
- Moel Feity Scoop: Ref. No. DS2017_021
- Upper Tawe Longhut: Ref. No. DS2017_022
- Upper Taw Possible Fold: Ref. No. DS2017_023
- Upper Taw Possible Fold: Ref. No. DS2017_024
- Upper Tawe Longhut: Ref. No. DS2017_025
- Upper Tawe Small Circular Fold: Ref. No. DS2017_026
- Mynydd Pysgodlyn Cairn: Ref. No. DS2017_027
- Brest-y-Fedw Sheep Fold: Ref. No. DS2017_028
- Mynydd-y-Glog Clearance Cairn: Ref. No. DS2017_029
- Alexander, David and Pat (Editors). 1992. The Lion handbook to the Bible. Oxford: Lion Publishing.
- Barnes, Ian and Hudson, Robert. 1996. Historical atlas of Asia. Shirley: Arcadia Editions.
- Bienkowski, Piotr & Millard, Alan (Editors). c2000. Dictionary of the ancient Near East. London: Published for the Trustees of the British Museum Press.
- Blackburn, Esther and Williams, Rita. 1983. St. Donat’s Castle : a guide and brief history. [Cowbridge?]: D. Brown and Sons Ltd.
- The British Association for the Advancement of Science. 1960. Visit of the British Association for the Advancement of Science: Cardiff 1960. Cheltenham and London: Ed. J. Burrow & Co. Ltd., Publishers.
- Brown, Ivor J. ; Trinder, Barrie. [Unknown date]. The Coalport Tar Tunnel: Special Publication No. 2. Ironbridge: The Ironbridge Gorge Museum.
- Bucklow, Spike (editor). 2017. The art and science of the church screen in medieval Europe : making, meaning, preserving. Woodbridge,U.K.: The Boydell Press.
- Cadw- Welsh Historic Monuments. 1987. A Guide to the Legislation on the Listing of Historic Buildings. Unknown place of publication- possibly Cardiff. Unknown publisher- possibly Cadw.
- Cadw- Welsh Historic Monuments. Unknown date- possibly 2002. Guidance on Applying for a Listed Building Consent Delegation. Unknown place of publication- possibly Cardiff. Unknown publisher- possibly Cadw.
- Caiger, Stephen L. 1930. Wirksworth Parish Church: Notes on Famous Churches and Abbeys. London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge [SPCK].
- Ceredigion District Council. 1992. Ceredigion Marine Heritage Coast: An Introductory Report. Ceredigion: Ceredigion District Council.
- City of Hereford Archaeology Committee. 1986. 26 & 27 High Town, Hereford: A Report on the Timber-Framed Buildings by City of Hereford Archaeology Committee. Hereford: The City of Hereford Archaeology Committee.
- City of Hereford Archaeology Committee; Hook, R; Shoesmith, R. 1986. 25 Commercial Street, Hereford: An Interim Report. Unknown place of publication- possibly Hereford: Unknown publisher- possibly City of Hereford Archaeology Committee.
- City of Hereford Archaeology Committee; Hook, R; Shoesmith, R. 1987. The College of the Vicars’ Choral at Hereford Cathedral: An Analysis of the Historic Development. Unknown place of publication- possibly Hereford: Unknown publisher- possibly Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission/ City of Hereford Archaeology Committee.
- Clarke, Stephen H. ; Harrison, Julian ; Fenn, R.W.D. ; Kissack, Keith; Williams, David H. ; Rees, Sian ; Lewis, J. M | Vicar and Parochial Church Council of Monmouth. 2001. A History of the Benedictine Priory of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St Florent at Monmouth. [Unknown place of publication- possibly Monmouth]: Vicar and Parochial Council of Monmouth.
- Council of Museums in Wales. 2000? Finding our past: The portable antiquities recording scheme in Wales . A pilot study report: March 1999 to February 2000. [Cardiff?]: Council of Museums in Wales.
- Craine, David. 1958. Peel castle, Isle of Man. [Peel]: ?
- Curtis, Penelope. 2017. Sculpture vertical, horizontal, closed, open. New Haven and London: Yale University Press.
- Denbigh Town Council. [Unknown date- possibly post-1974]. Denbigh-Dinbych: Official Town Guide. Gloucester: The British Publishing Company Limited.
- Department of the Environment. 1970. Taken for Granted: Report of the Working Party on Sewage Disposal. London: Her Majesty’s Stationary Office.
- Devolution Unit, Welsh Office. 1998. National Assembly for Wales: A Guide to the Government of Wales Act 1998. [Unknown place of publication- possibly Cardiff]: Welsh Office.
- Downing, Mark. 2016. Military Effigies of England & Wales. Volume 9, Wales. Shrewsbury: Monumental Books.
- English Heritage. 2001. Centre for Archaeology Guidelines: Archaeometallurgy. [Unknown place of publication- possibly Swindon]: English Heritage.
- English Heritage. 2002. Temporary Protection of Wall Paintings during Building Works: Practical Information Leaflet. London: English Heritage.
- Falkus, Malcolm and Gillingham, John. 1981. Historical atlas of Britain. London: Book Club Associates.
- Gardiner, Juliet & Wenborn, Neil. 1995. The History today companion to British history. London: Collins and Brown.
- Gelling, Peter S. 1959. Excavation of a promontory fort at Cass ny Hawin, Malew, Isle of Man. Isle of Man: Isle of Man Natural History and Antiquarian Society.
- Gilbert, Martin. 1993. The Dent atlas of British history. London: Dent.
- Gilfoyle, Ian; McKenna, Laurie | Cheshire County Council. 1991. Cheshire Historic Buildings: A Guide to Technical Terms. Chester: Cheshire County Council: Environmental Planning.
- Guest Keen Iron & Steel Co., Ltd. 1954. Guest Keen Iron & Steel Co., Ltd. Works Handbook. [Unknown place of publication]: Guest Keen Iron & Steel Co., Ltd.
- Holt, Peter. 2017. The Resurgam submarine: ‘a project for annoying the enemy’. Oxford: Archaeopress Publishing Ltd.
- Iorwerth, Dylan. 2017? Y castell gwyn. Cardiff: Cadw.
- Jay, Delia and Lewis, Rosemary. 2008? St. Mary the Virgin Church and Hill Fort at Caerau : a history, 1260-2008. Bath: DAJAY Publications.
- Jones, Gwenllian. 1983? Y Garn yn gant a hanner. Bow Street, Wales: Capel y Garn.
- Jones, P. Thoresby; Whittingham, A. B. [revised version]. [Unknown date- post-1946] The Story of The Cathedral Church of Norwich. Gloucester: The British Publishing Company Limited.
- Knight, J.K. 2017. Caerleon Roman fortress. Cardiff: Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments.
- The Institution of Structural Engineers. 2015. Structural Design- Achieving Excellence. London: The Institution of Structural Engineers.
- Jarvis, Federick. 1948. Wymondham Abbey. [Wymondham: Wymondham Abbey.]
- Lenman, Bruce. 1993. Chambers dictionary of world history. Edinburgh: Chambers.
- McDermott, Mark. 2017. Sir Benjamin Hammet 1736 -1800: a biography. Taunton: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society.
- Marsh, Michael A. 1999. The gold sovereign. Cambridge: Michael A. Marsh Publications.
- Murray, Margaret Alice. 1938. Cambridge excavations in Minorca: Trapuco part 2. London: B. Quaritch.
- Museum of Welsh Life St Fagans. [Unknown date.] Re-Discovering St Teilo’s Church: Your Questions Answered. [Unknown place of publication]: Museum of Welsh Life St Fagans / National Museums & Galleries of Wales.
- Nash-Williams, V. E | National Museum of Wales. 1940. The Roman Legionary Fortress at Caerleon, Monmouthshire. Cardiff: National Museum of Wales/ Press Board of the University of Wales.
- O’Neil, B. H. St. J. 1954. Castle Rushen, Isle of Man: official guide. [S.l.]: [s.n.],
- The Prince of Wales Committee. 1974. Roads and the Welsh Environment: Report of the Study Group. Bangor: The Prince of Wales Committee.
- Prosiect y rhyfeloedd byd hanes Llandudoch = The war years project. 2014. Y rhyfel byd cyntaf y rhai o gollwyd o Landudoch = World war 1 the fallen of St Dogmaels. St Dogmaels: The War Years Project Hanes Llandoch.
- Riden, Philip | Department of Extra Mural Studies, University College, Cardiff. 1978. South East Wales: A Guide for the Local Historian. Cardiff: Department of Extra Mural Studies, University College, Cardiff.
- Richards, Emlyn. 1991. Adeiladwyd gan dlodi : neuaddau pentref Mynytho, Abersoch, Rhoshirwaun a’r Sarn. [Caernarvon]: Gwasanaeth Llyfrgell Gwynedd.
- Robert M. Fanstone. [Date unknown]. The Abbey Church of St Mary and St Ethelflaeda, Romsey: The Official Guide by Robert M. Fanstone: Revised edition. Romsey: Abbey Church of St. Mary and St. Ethelflaeda.
- Sir Percy Thomas and Son Architects and Planning Consultants. 1965. University College of Wales Aberystwyth: Development Plan 1. [Unknown place of publication- possibly Aberystwyth] [Unknown publisher- possibly University College of Wales, Aberystwyth]
- Schiffer, Michael B. Formation processes of the archaeological record. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press.
- Slocombe, Matthew. [Unknown date.] The Spab Approach to the Conservation & Care of Old Buildings. London: Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings.
- Sorrell, John. 2017. Hidden history: archaeology from the air in south-east Wales. [Wales]: John Sorrell.
- Swansea Museum. [Unknown date] The Romans in Swansea and Gower. Swansea: West Glamorgan County Council.
- Taylor, Arnold. 2015. Harlech castle. Cardiff: CADW.
- Turner, Rick. 2016. Caerphilly castle. Cardiff: Cadw.
- Wade-Martins, Peter. [Unknown date]. A Guide to the Excavations in North Elmham Park, 1970. [Unknown place of publication]: [unknown publisher].
- Wales, Countryside Council. 1992. Gorsafoedd pŵer twrbinau gwynt / Cyngor Cefn Gwlad Cymru = Wind turbine power stations. Bangor: Cyngor Cefn Gwlad Cymru/ Countryside Council for Wales.
- Waters, Mercedes | The Chepstow Society. 1970 [reprinted 1971]. Changing Chepstow. [Unknown place of publication, possibly Chepstow]: M. Waters.
- Watts, D. G. [Unknown date- possibly 1968.] Changes in Location of the South Wales Iron and Steel Industry, 1860-1930. [Unknown place of publication]: [Unknown publisher- possibly Geography Association].
- Welsh Affairs Committee. 1992-1993. The Preservation of Historic Buildings and Ancient Monuments: Confidential- Final Revise. London: House of Commons.
- Williams, Geoffrey and Wallace, Ryland. 2016. Young men, to arms! : The First World War in the Crickhowell district. Crickhowell: Crickhowell District Archive Centre with The Crickhowell and District History Society.
- Winbolt, S. E. 1924. Roman Site, East Cliff. Folkestone: Borough Engineer’s Office.
- Wright, Duncan W. & Creighton, Oliver C. [Editors]. 2016. Castles, siegeworks and settlements : surveying the archaeology of the twelfth century. Oxford: Archaeopress Publishing Ltd.
- Below – Journal of the Shropshire caving & mining club No. 2017.3 (Autumn 2017)
- British Archaeology, (Nov/Dec 2017)
- Capel – Local information leaflet 81: Morriston (May 2017)
- Capel – Newsletter Vol. 70 (Autumn 2017)
- Council for British Archaeology Newsletter Issue 41 (Oct to Jan 2017/18)
- The Journal of ICWCI – Site Recorder NO. 1614 (Oct 2017)
- Journal of the Merioneth Historical and Record Society Vol.17, Part 4 (2017)
- Meisgyn and Gynrhondda Local History Research, Llantrisant & District Local History Society Volume 9, No. 5 (July 2017)
- Vernacular Architecture Group Conference Proceedings for Jersey, Spring 2009.
- Vernacular Architecture Group Conference – Hertfordshire (Spring 2017)
- The Victorian No. 56 (Nov 2017)
Journals: Current Awareness
- British Archaeology, (Nov/Dec 2017) P.46-51 Mapping hillforts in Britain and Ireland P.65 – Case work done on St Catherine’s church, Pontypridd
- Council for British Archaeology Newsletter Issue 41 (Oct to Jan 2017/18) P.10 – Welsh launch of the CBA’s Festival of Archaeology at Strata Florida in Ceredigion.
If you have any comments or enquiries, please feel free to contact us:
NMRW Library and Enquiries Service
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales
Ceredigion SY23 3BU
Croesewir gohebiaeth yn y Gymraeg a’r Saesneg | Correspondence welcomed in Welsh and English