Royal Commission Archive & Library Bulletin of Newly Catalogued Material – October 2019
Welcome to the latest monthly edition of the National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW) Archives and Library Bulletin which lists all newly catalogued material. The archival items, library books and journal articles are all available to view in our public reading room. The full archive catalogue is available on Coflein and contains digital copies of many of the items listed. All publications may be found on our online Library Catalogue.
Our Library and reading room is open:
Monday – Friday 09.30 – 16.00,
Wednesday 10.30 – 16.30.
An appointment is advisable.
Aeon Archaeology Projects: Ref. AAPProject archive reports relating to various archaeological activities in Wales
Covering dates: 2013-2019
Archaeology Wales Project Archives
Project archives relating to:
- Tennyson Avenue, Llanwern, Newport, 2018: Ref. AWP_362
Arthur Chater Collection: Ref. ACC
Digital copies of negatives relating to sites in Cardiganshire
Covering dates: 1963-1964
Cadw Listed Buildings 35mm Colour Negative Collection: Ref. CLBN
Colour negatives showing buildings in Blaenau Gwent, Caerphilly, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, and Glamorgan: taken by Cadw during their listed building resurvey programme
Covering dates: 1980 – 2010
CHERISH Project Archive
- Data from an airborne laser scanning survey (LiDAR) relating to The Skerries, Puffin Island, Bardsey Island, Tudwal’s Island, Grassholm Island, and Ramsey Island: Ref. CHR_04
David Smith Slide Collection: Ref. DSSC
Colour slides showing vernacular buildings in north-west Wales
Covering dates: 1978-1985
Emergency Recording Collection
Digital photo surveys and related material relating to:
- Pentower Chapel, Fishguard, 2019: Ref. ERC_2019_013
- The Westgate Hotel (Former County Court and Inland Revenue Offices), Cardiff, 2019: Ref. ERC_2019_014
Engineering Archaeological Services Ltd Projects ArchivePhotographic survey, drawings, standing building report, and digital archive metadata relating to Rhiwgoch, Bronaber, Trawsfynydd. June 2019: Ref. EASPA05
European Travellers to Wales Project
- Laser scanning data (.pod and .pts files) relating to Tintern Abbey, from a survey undertaken as part of the European Travellers Project, 2017: Ref. ETW_TIN
Flintshire County Council Collection
- Colour photographs and negatives relating to properties, mostly in Flintshire, 1994 – 1998: Ref. FCCC/04
Glyn Neath Gunpowder Works Collection: Ref. GNGWC
Material collected or produced by Elizabeth Tough in the 1980s as part of archaeological work conducted at Glyn Neath Gunpowder Works and Dinas Silica Mine. Includes archaeological records, drawings, historic information, interview transcripts, maps, negatives, prints and photographs
Covering dates: 1985-1988
Heritage Recording Services Wales Project Archives
- Bound report and digital files relating to an archaeological building investigation, recording, and watching brief at Castell Coch, Tongwynlais, June 2019: Ref. HRS006
Ordnance Survey Vertical Aerial Photography Large Print Collection
Ordnance Survey large print collection, comprising black and white enlargements (c.20″) taken from 9″ film rolls. Filed in alphabetical order according to featured town, community or feature
Covering dates: 1963-1997
Paul R. Davis Collection: Ref. PRD_02
Digital colour photographs relating to various sites in Wales: additions to the collection
Covering dates: 2007-2019
RCAHMW Colour Oblique Digital Aerial Photographs
Aerial photographs relating, taken during the 2018 drought, to:
- Ystradmeurig: Ref. AP2019_989
- Grange Springs Lakes: Ref. AP2019_990
- Leighton Hall and Gardens: Ref. AP2019_991
- Gwenhafdre Uchaf: Ref. AP2019_992
- Llangollen taken: Ref. AP2019_993
- St Asaph: Ref. AP2019_994
- Point of Ayr lighthouse and Talacre: Ref. AP2019_995
- Bala Lake Railway: Ref. AP2019_996
- Trawsgoed Mansion: Ref. AP2019_997
- Aberllefenni Slate Quarry and landscape: Ref. AP2019_998
- Bala: Ref. AP2019_999
Wessex Archaeology Project Archives
Project archives relating to:
- Bryn Blaen Wind Farm, Llangurig, 2017: Ref. WAP_19
All our books and journals can be found on the Royal Commission’s Library Catalogue and viewed in our Library and Search Room.
- Addoldai Cymru / Welsh Religious Buildings Trust. 2018. Anghydffurfiaeth Gymreig: Bywyd capel y gorffennol mewn lluniau / Welsh Nonconformity: Historic chapel life in pictures. Bridgend: Addoldai Cymru / Welsh Religious Buildings Trust.
- Addoldai Cymru / Welsh Religious Buildings Trust & Comisiwn Brenhinol Henebion Cymru / Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales. 2019. Llwybrffydd Bedyddwyr Cymru / A Welsh Baptist Trail. Bridgend: Addoldai Cymru / Welsh Religious Buildings Trust.
- Dating Old Welsh Houses: Denbighshire Branch. 2019. Cynwyd Scrapbook Three. Discovering Old Welsh Houses Group.
- Evans, Dinah. 2019. A new, even better, Abertawe: Rebuilding Swansea 1941-1961. Swansea: West Glamorgan Archive Service.
- Jenkins, Geraint. 2019. Cardiganshire County History: Volume 2. Medieval and Early Modern Cardiganshire. Cardiff: University of Wales Press.
- Redknap, Mark, Rees, Sian and Aberg, Alan (eds.). 2019. Cymru a’r mor: 10,000 o flynyddoedd o hanes y Môr. Talybont: Y Lolfa.
- Redknap, Mark, Rees, Sian and Aberg, Alan (eds.). 2019. Wales and the sea: 10,000 years of Welsh maritime history. Talybont: Y Lolfa.
- Antiquity Volume 93 (Number 371, October 2019).
- AJ Specification October (2019).
- Architects’ Journal Volume 246 (Part 19, 10/10/2019 and Part 20, 24/10/2019).
- British Archaeology Volume 169 (November/December 2019).
- Capel Newsletter Volume 75 (Autumn 2019).
- Community Archaeology & Heritage Volume 6 (Number 4, November 2019).
- Current Archaeology Volume 356 (November 2019).
- Essex Historic Buildings Group Newsletter Volume 7 (October 2019).
- Gower Journal Volume 70 (2019).
- Merioneth Historical and Record Society Journal Volume 18 (Part 2, 2019).
- Pen Cambria: The magazine of Mid-Wales Number 42 (Winter 2019).
- Transactions of the Denbighshire Historical Society Volume 67 (2019).
- Welsh Railways Research Circle Newsletter Volume 160 (Autumn 2019).
Journals: Current Awareness
- Antiquity Volume 93 (Number 371, October 2019), p.1178-1196 Boom and bust in Bronze Age Britain: major copper production from the Great Orme mine and European trade, c.1600-1400 BC, R. Alan Williams and Cecile Le Carlier de Veslud.
- Architects Journal 1/10/2019, exhibition of the Tool/Toy Project by Welsh architectural designers, Maegan Icke and jeweller, Rachel Jones-Jones, at the Oslo Triennale.
- Architects Journal Volume 246 (Part 19, 10/10/2019), p.18-19 Tatiana Light, Welsh School of Architecture – winner of the undergraduate AJ student prize for her project on Hay-on-Wye. British Construction Industry Awards 2019, p.22 Winner of the Utility Project of the Year – North Wales Sludge Strategy; p.34 Winner of the Small Project of the Year – Greener Grangetown
- British Archaeology Volume 169 (November/December 2019), p.59, WOOLOLOGY!? Royal Welsh Winter Fair 25-26/11/2019 – CBA Wales, in conjunction with the Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust, will be exploring the connections between wool use, sheep rearing and archaeology.
- Current Archaeology Volume 356 (November 2019), p.11 Buried secrets revealed at Dinas Dinlle coastal fort. P.13 Shipwreck found at Pensarn Beach, Abergele after extreme weather.
If you have any comments or enquiries, please feel free to contact us:
NMRW Library and Enquiries Service
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales
Ceredigion SY23 3BU
Croesewir gohebiaeth yn y Gymraeg a’r Saesneg | Correspondence welcomed in Welsh and English