Royal Commission Archive & Library Bulletin of Newly Catalogued Material – September 2019
Archaeology Wales Project Archives
Project archives relating to:
- Bryn Gwylan Threshing Barn, Llangernyw, 2017-2018: Ref. AWP_352
- Bryn Ysguboriau, Llanelidan, 2018: Ref. AWP_353
Bristol and Region Archaeological Services Survey Archives
Project archives relating to:
- Rogiet Primary School, Monmouthshire, 2008: Ref. BRAS034
- Llynfi Road, Maeteg, South Wales, 2005-2009: Ref. BRAS037
- Newport Cattle Market Site, 2009: Ref. BRAS038
Cadw Listed Buildings 35mm Colour Negative Collection: Ref. CLBN
Colour negatives, taken by Cadw during their listed building resurvey programme, relating to buildings in the communities of Wales.
Covering dates: 1980-2010
Emergency Recording Collection
Digital photo survey, and associated material, relating to:
- Fron Deg, Caergeiliog, Ynys Môn, 2019: Ref. ERC2019_011
- Tywyll Nodwydd, Pennal, 2019: Ref. ERC2019_012
Flintshire County Council Collection
- Colour photographic surveys relating to various properties, mainly in Flintshire, 1998: Ref. FCCC/04/14
General Digital Donations Collection
Digital photos relating to:
- Pembroke Dock taken by Royal Air Force in 1943 – copies from prints, 2019: Ref. DD2019_009
- Views of potato clamps at Pen y Garreg, 2019: Ref. DD2019_010
Investigators’ Digital Photography
- RCAHMW aerial photographs, taken during the 2018 drought: Ref. DS2019_043 – DS2019_047
RCAHMW Colour Oblique Digital Aerial Photographs
Aerial photographs, taken during the 2018 drought: Ref. AP2019_937-AP2019_988
Wessex Archaeology Project Archives
Project archives relating to:
- Lidl Supermarket, Ffordd Parc Ynysderw, Pontardawe, 2016: Ref. WAP_14
- Brechfa Forest West Wind Farm, Pontardawe, 2016: Ref. WAP_15
- Glyn Derw High School, Cardiff, 2017: Ref. WAP_16
- Bryn Cynau Isaf, Cwmffrwd, Carmarthenshire, 2017: Ref. WAP_17
- Black Rock Road, Portskewett, Monmouthshire, 2018: Ref. WAP_18
- All our books and journals can be found on the Royal Commission’s Library Catalogue and viewed in our Library and Search Room.
- Adams, Philip and Davies, Martin. 2018. Re-shaping rail in south Wales: The railways of Briton Ferry and district – past, present and future. Ludlow: Philip Adams and Martin Davies.
- Barnatt, John. 2019. The archaeology of underground mines and quarries in England. Swindon: Historic England.
- Comeau, Rhiannon and Seaman, Andy. 2019. Living off the land: Agriculture in Wales c.400-1600 A.D. Oxford: Oxbow Books.
- Coulis, Anthony. 2019. The slate industry. Stroud: Amberley.
- Fisk, Stephen. 2018. Abandoned villages. Stroud: Amberley.
- Grigg, Erik. 2018. Warfare, raiding and defence in early Medieval Britain. Ramsbury: The Crowood Press.
- Guise, Richard and Webb, James. 2018. Characterising neighbourhoods: exploring local assets of community significance. Abingdon: Routledge.
- Jones, Andrew Meirion and Diaz-Guardamino, Marta. 2019. Making a mark: image and process in Neolithic Britain and Ireland. Oxford: Oxbow Books.
- Rollason, David. 2019. Princes of the Church: Bishops and their palaces. London: Routledge.
- Winchester, Angus. 2016. Dry stone walls. Stroud: Amberley.
Offprints from the Vernacular Architecture Group Library
- Aalen, F.H.A. 1967. Furnishings of Traditional Houses in the Wicklow Hills, offprint from Ulster Folklife, Volume 13, pp. 61-68. Holywood: Ulster Folk and Transport Museum.
- Alcock, Nathaniel W. 1978. Vernacular Architecture: Historical Evidence and Historical Problems, offprint from the Proceedings of the 1975 Winterthur Conference, Norton (U.S.A.), pp. 109-120. Charlottesville: University Press.
- Baumgarten, Karl. Bericht über die Teilnahme an zwei Hausforgchertagungen in England (Report on Two Vernacular Group Meetings Attended in England in 1976 and 1977), draft from the author, p.19.
- Crawford, W.H.; Gailey, Alan. 1981. Ulster and Industrial Archaeology offprint from Ulster Folklife, Volume 27, pp. 81-87. Holywood: Ulster Folk and Transport Museum.
- Drinkwater, Norman. 1949. The Old Market Hall, Hereford, offprint from The Woolhope Naturalists Field Club Papers, pp. 1-13. Woolhope Naturalists Field Club.
- Fletcher, J.M. 1970. Radiocarbon Dating of Medieval, Timber-Framed Cruck Cottages, chapter offprint from UCLA Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies Contributions: IV: Scientific Methods in Medieval Archaeology, ed. By Rainer Berger, pp. 141-157. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Gailey, Alan. 1976. The Housing of the Rural Poor in Nineteenth-Century Ulster, offprint from Ulster Folklife, Volume 22, pp. 34-58. Holywood: Ulster Folk and Transport Museum.
- Gailey, Alan. 1984. Introduction and Spread of the Horse-Powered Threshing Machine to Ulster’s Farms in the Nineteenth Century: Some Aspects, offprint from Ulster Folklife, Volume 30, pp. 37-54. Holywood: Ulster Folk and Transport Museum.
- McCourt, Desmond; Evans, E. Estyn. 1968. A Late Seventeenth-Century Farmhouse at Shantallow, near Londonderry, offprint from Ulster Folklife, Volume 14, pp. 14-23. Holywood: Ulster Folk and Transport Museum.
- Meirion-Jones, Gwyn I. 1979. The Bed-outshot in Brittany, offprint from Ulster Folklife, Volume 25, pp. 29-53. Holywood: Ulster Folk and Transport Museum.
- Nattrass, Mary. 1958. Witch Posts and Early Dwellings in Cleveland, offprint from The Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, Volume 39, pp. 136-146. Wakefield: West Yorkshire Printing Co. Limited.
- Ó Danachair, Caoimhín. 1956. Three Types of Houses, offprint from Ulster Folklife, Volume 2, pp. 22-26. Holywood: Ulster Folk and Transport Museum.
- Ó Danachair, Caoimhín. 1968. A Timber-framed House near Slane, County Meath, off-print from Ulster Folklife, Volume 14, pp. 24-27. Holywood: Ulster Folk and Transport Museum.
- Pacey, A.J. 1966. Ornamental Porches of Mid-Seventeenth Century Halifax, offprint from The Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, volume 41, pp. 455-464. Wakefield: West Yorkshire Printing Co. Limited.
- Pexton, Frank and McCann, John. 2010. A Columbarium at Overbury Church, offprint from Transactions of the Worcestershire Archaeological Society, Volume 22, pp. 97-104. Worcester: Worcestershire Archaeological Society.
- Robinson, Philip. 1979. Vernacular Housing in Ulster in the Seventeenth Century, offprint from Ulster Folklife, Volume 25, pp. 1-28. Holywood: Ulster Folk and Transport Museum.
- Robinson, Philip. 1982. A Water-Mill Built in 1615 by The Drapers’ Company at Moneymore, County Londonderry, offprint from Ulster Folklife, Volume 28, pp. 49-55. Holywood: Ulster Folk and Transport Museum.
- Smith, J.T. 1970. The Reliability of Typological Dating of Medieval Roofs, chapter offprint from UCLA Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies Contributions: IV: Scientific Methods in Medieval Archaeology, ed. By Rainer Berger, pp. 239-269. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Whinney, Richard. 1982. “all that capital messuage called Wickham Place”: A brief account of the excavation and research on the manor house at Wickham, Hampshire, 1975-1980, Winchester Archaeology Office Report Number One, pp. 2-28. Winchester: City of Winchester.
- Wood, Charles B. 1965. A Survey and Bibliography of Writings on English and American Architectural Books Published before 1895, from Winterthur Portfolio II, pp. 127-137. Wilmington: Winterthur Museum.
- Antiquity Volume 093 (Part 368, April 2019; Part 369, June 2019 & Part 370, August 2019).
- Archaeologia Cambrensis Volume 168 (2019).
- Architects’ Journal Volume 246 (Part 18, 26/09/2019).
- Architects’ Journal Specification September (2019).
- Cartographic Journal Volume 56 (Number 3, August 2019).
- Cartographiti Volume 96 (Autumn 2019).
- Chapels Society Newsletter Volume 72 (September 2019).
- Current Archaeology Volume 355 (October 2019).
- Current World Archaeology Volume 97 (October/November 2019).
- Essex Historic Buildings Group Newsletter Number 6 (September 2019).
- Gower Society Newsletter Autumn (2019).
- Railway and Canal Historical Society Bulletin Volume 481 (September 2019).
- Talyllyn News Volume 263 (September 2019).
- Touchstone (2019).
- Welsh Mills Society Newsletter Volume 137 (October 2019).
Journals: Current Awareness
- Current Archaeology Volume 355 (October 2019), p.8 ‘New finds from the Pembrokeshire chariot burial’. P.65 Sherds – Dating ancient yews with reference to the Llangernyw Yew in Snowdonia.
- New film: Inside Ty Pawb, AJ Retrofit of the Year: Featherstone Young’s community centre in Wrexham named ‘AJ Retrofit of the Year’ in September 2019.
If you have any comments or enquiries, please feel free to contact us:
NMRW Library and Enquiries Service
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales
Ceredigion SY23 3BU
Croesewir gohebiaeth yn y Gymraeg a’r Saesneg | Correspondence welcomed in Welsh and English