The Adoration of the Magi
This window is at St Deiniol’s Chuch in Hawarden, Flintshire. It depicts the Adoration of the Magi, and was designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones (1833 – 98).
Burne-Jones was a British artist and designer who was heavily involved with the renaissance of stained glass art in Britain in the late nineteenth century. He was also a founding partner of the hugely influential decorative arts company Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Co. in 1861, alongside William Morris, Charles Faulkner, Peter Paul Marshall, Dante Gabriel Rossetti, Ford Madox Brown and Phillip Webb. The company reformed as Morris & Co. in 1875, and many of its designs are still in use in decorative furnishings of homes today.
This window is characteristic of the stained glass designs produced by Burne-Jones: his mastery of drapery, his flowing tracery and the host of angels in attendance here are typical of his style.